Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,

Sorry I know this question has been done to death but wanted to know what you guys think of my particular situation:

I am a recent grad from Oxford with a First Class degree in a social science. I have quite a variety of experiences but nothing like president or VP of a society - instead it's more roles as a volunteer consultant, policy researcher for a society, communications roles for societies etc. I've just finished an internship with the Civil Service this summer and did a 1 week Marketing 'internship' with a company last summer.

I was pretty sure I wanted to work in the public sector, but after completing the internship I want something much more fast paced and high pressured, and I want to be pushed more which I didn't get during my internship (and watching full time staff it seems to be the same in grad roles). So this is why I'm considering applying for private sector jobs - but I want to know whether given my grades but lack of consulting internship or impressive society roles it's worth applying? If not, are there similar sectors that I might be interested in??

Thanks! X
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by roflcakes1)
    Hi all,

Sorry I know this question has been done to death but wanted to know what you guys think of my particular situation:

I am a recent grad from Oxford with a First Class degree in a social science. I have quite a variety of experiences but nothing like president or VP of a society - instead it's more roles as a volunteer consultant, policy researcher for a society, communications roles for societies etc. I've just finished an internship with the Civil Service this summer and did a 1 week Marketing 'internship' with a company last summer.

I was pretty sure I wanted to work in the public sector, but after completing the internship I want something much more fast paced and high pressured, and I want to be pushed more which I didn't get during my internship (and watching full time staff it seems to be the same in grad roles). So this is why I'm considering applying for private sector jobs - but I want to know whether given my grades but lack of consulting internship or impressive society roles it's worth applying? If not, are there similar sectors that I might be interested in??

Thanks! X
    Should be fine, consulting firms are pretty open to people without internships in consulting - in fact their intern numbers are significantly lower than what they take on for full time so they need to recruit to fill that gap.

Your profile is pretty solid for consulting too, so give it a bash. If you get through the initial tests and stuff, start prepping hard for case interviews.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Useful resources

Articles:

Guide to investment bankingGuide to consultancy

Featured recruiter profiles:

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

Quick link:

Unanswered investment banking and consultancy threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.