Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

A2 students going to University. What did you do wrong in your A-level year? Watch

ReputationRep:
    What did you do wrong in your A-level year and what would you change about what you did? Is there anything really specific that you would recommend?

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I've actually been on a gap year and will be starting university this September, but I thought I'd answer anyway.

I wouldn't say I did anything 'wrong' necessarily when I did my A Levels, but there are a couple of things which I didn't do, that I really should've! The first thing is that I didn't take advantage of the homework/revision help sessions available (at least, I didn't until the very end of year 13). I really wished I had, because the few that I did go to were really useful, and helped a lot with understanding the wording of past questions and what to include in the answers.

Another big mistake I made was leaving my revision very late (due to stress, and depression among other things). I severely underestimated how much content I had to cover, and ran out of time to complete my revision. I revised for 2 of my subjects with few problems, but I had no strategy for Geography as the ambiguity of the past papers and lack of available revision resources made it really difficult to revise for. Unsurprisingly, I got my lowest grade in Geography.

The final thing which comes to mind is making a revision timetable. I can't recommend this enough! After leaving my revision until literally the week before my exams at A2, I finally decided to make a revision timetable. It helped me to stay focused on what I had to do, and I did manage to get a decent amount of revision done using it.

TL;DR - make sure to take advantage of homework and revision help sessions, don't leave your revision too late, and use a revision timetable!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Leviathan1741)
    Hi! I've actually been on a gap year and will be starting university this September, but I thought I'd answer anyway.

I wouldn't say I did anything 'wrong' necessarily when I did my A Levels, but there are a couple of things which I didn't do, that I really should've! The first thing is that I didn't take advantage of the homework/revision help sessions available (at least, I didn't until the very end of year 13). I really wished I had, because the few that I did go to were really useful, and helped a lot with understanding the wording of past questions and what to include in the answers.

Another big mistake I made was leaving my revision very late (due to stress, and depression among other things). I severely underestimated how much content I had to cover, and ran out of time to complete my revision. I revised for 2 of my subjects with few problems, but I had no strategy for Geography as the ambiguity of the past papers and lack of available revision resources made it really difficult to revise for. Unsurprisingly, I got my lowest grade in Geography.

The final thing which comes to mind is making a revision timetable. I can't recommend this enough! After leaving my revision until literally the week before my exams at A2, I finally decided to make a revision timetable. It helped me to stay focused on what I had to do, and I did manage to get a decent amount of revision done using it.

TL;DR - make sure to take advantage of homework and revision help sessions, don't leave your revision too late, and use a revision timetable!
    This is brilliant! Thank you! I'm going to make the most of my A2 year, I've printed off revision timetables that I hope to stick to!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Someboady)
    This is brilliant! Thank you! I'm going to make the most of my A2 year, I've printed off revision timetables that I hope to stick to!
    You're welcome! That's a great attitude to have, best of luck!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.