The Student Room Group

Quitting New Job - help with notice?

Summary / Info

I recently left a supermarket job to work full-time at a games store. They lured me in with good incentives etc but I've come to realize they squeeze me for every last penny and that they don't care about me. They even make me stay late unpaid!!

Last week I was offered a scholarship worth £5000 for a private course which I cannot pass-up - 40 hours a week contact time which means I cannot work at the games store anyway.

I asked for my old supermarket job back for the evenings and weekends and they accepted so I start there in two weeks.

Question / Issue
-I have not signed a contract with the games store
-They are due to pay me around £800 on 5th September
-They are seemingly dodgy (not accepting P45, selling dodgy goods etc)

This week I am working Tuesday / Wednesday (rotas start on Saturdays). Should I hand in a letter of resignation tomorrow? I do not require any references from them as I have only worked for them for less than a month and already have secured at job at the supermarket

Would you send it ass a letter, speak to them or email? I am worried about working after handing in resignation because they are very dodgy people and somewhat bullies.

Thanks

(soz for long post) <3
Hand in your resignation letter in person to the manager to make sure he gets it and stop working there a day after you get paid so they don't end up trying to get out of paying you (even though that would be illegal)
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Hand in your resignation letter in person to the manager to make sure he gets it and stop working there a day after you get paid so they don't end up trying to get out of paying you (even though that would be illegal)

That's in two weeks though :/
I left McDonalds after two shifts because it was horrible and I received a better job offer, I sent an email saying I wish to terminate my employment due to a unforeseen change in circumstances. Explain that you are willing to continue working up until the start of your scholarship and keep a copy of all communications so that if they refuse payment you have evidence of you working : if needs be you can use this against them to retrieve any money they have not paid. Good luck in your scholarship and once they have paid you I would tell someone about their dodgy dealings

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending