The Student Room Group

Product Design Engineering Application for Sept 2017

I'm looking to apply for Product Design Engineering. Been to see a couple of universities (ie Loughborough, Leeds). Have got strong GCSEs and AS so am aiming for a really good university. What are your thoughts on the universities offering Product Design Engineering and the courses themselves?
Reply 1
Original post by LApp2016
I'm looking to apply for Product Design Engineering. Been to see a couple of universities (ie Loughborough, Leeds). Have got strong GCSEs and AS so am aiming for a really good university. What are your thoughts on the universities offering Product Design Engineering and the courses themselves?

What course have you looked at @ Leeds? I couldn't find a PDE course there
Reply 2
I've applied to Bristol, Loughborough, Nottingham, Glasgow and Strathclyde. I'm predicted A*AA, and I've got an offer from Glasgow and an interview at Strathclyde, and an informal interview at Nottingham. Has anyone else heard back?
Reply 3
Original post by FlorieG1
I've applied to Bristol, Loughborough, Nottingham, Glasgow and Strathclyde. I'm predicted A*AA, and I've got an offer from Glasgow and an interview at Strathclyde, and an informal interview at Nottingham. Has anyone else heard back?

I've applied to Imperial, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Loughborough, and have been invited to an interview from Imperial this Friday. Have you had your interview for Strathclyde yet and do you know what to expect from it? I've been predicted the same grades.
Reply 4
Original post by hje13
I've applied to Imperial, Glasgow, Strathclyde and Loughborough, and have been invited to an interview from Imperial this Friday. Have you had your interview for Strathclyde yet and do you know what to expect from it? I've been predicted the same grades.

I've got interviews from Strathclyde and Nottingham and I got one from Loughborough today! I haven't had any of them yet and I'm not really sure what to expect, Strathclyde gave me questions to prepare
Reply 5
Well done! Imperial just said that they're going to ask three "competence based" questions. When did you send you're application off? I've only had one reply from Imperial so far, but I did send my ucas application quite late (1st December)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 6
Original post by FlorieG1
I've got interviews from Strathclyde and Nottingham and I got one from Loughborough today! I haven't had any of them yet and I'm not really sure what to expect, Strathclyde gave me questions to prepare

Has anyone else had problems trying to book the loughborough interview day, or is it just me?
Reply 7
Original post by Calabasas
Has anyone else had problems trying to book the loughborough interview day, or is it just me?

On my letter it said 8th Feb, but when I called them to say the only available slot was the 22nd, which is my Nottingham interview, they said the 8th was fully booked
Reply 8
Original post by hje13
Well done! Imperial just said that they're going to ask three "competence based" questions. When did you send you're application off? I've only had one reply from Imperial so far, but I did send my ucas application quite late (1st December)

Posted from TSR Mobile

I sent mine towards the end of november, I think some take longer than others, and I think they wanted the deadline to close before they even considered people, for fairness
what subjects did you take for a level?

Original post by LApp2016
Reply 10
Original post by hje13

Hi again,

I've just received offers from Glasgow and Imperial, and have a Loughborough interview this Wednesday. I'm still waiting for a reply from Strathclyde. What were the questions like for Loughborough and Strathclyde? The three questions I was asked at Imperial were totally different to anything I'd prepared for (even though it worked out alright in the end).
Could someone explain to me what exactly Product Design Engineering is?

I've got a conditional offer from Loughborough for this course but I'm not sure if it's the course for me. The course description sounds like what I want to do - visual design with an engineering background - but looking at the modules, it seems like it should be called Manufacturing Engineering instead. What exactly is this course? What's it like, and what does it prepare you for? I'm very interested in aesthetic design and I don't want to sacrifice that.
Original post by hje13
Hi again,

I've just received offers from Glasgow and Imperial, and have a Loughborough interview this Wednesday. I'm still waiting for a reply from Strathclyde. What were the questions like for Loughborough and Strathclyde? The three questions I was asked at Imperial were totally different to anything I'd prepared for (even though it worked out alright in the end).

Have you received an offer for the the Design Engineering course at Imperial? If so I'd be really grateful if you would give me any background on what they are interested in. I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art with A's predicted in all of them and then an A* for Art. I want something that crosses problem solving with design but I don't have a background of product design. Will this matter?

Just any advice...how could I prepare?

Thanks
Original post by Cecily Mae
Have you received an offer for the the Design Engineering course at Imperial? If so I'd be really grateful if you would give me any background on what they are interested in. I'm studying Maths, Further Maths, Physics and Art with A's predicted in all of them and then an A* for Art. I want something that crosses problem solving with design but I don't have a background of product design. Will this matter?

Just any advice...how could I prepare?

Thanks

Hi there

I am also going to apply to design engineering in imperial this year.
In the open day, the professor predicted that it might be very competitive to get a place because there are only 70 intake.

Anyone can offer some help with the interview of design engineering? Is that more based on design or math and physics problem?

Thanks!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending