Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting an internal referral, how does this increase my chances of landing a job? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I am a graduate with a degree in the arts, and I know somebody who works within a large multinational corporation.

He and another employee passed on my CV and dropped my name to senior figures in the organisation last summer- letting them know I was a graduate looking for work.

At the time, the head of department was impressed with my CV and there were roles advertised, however nothing came of it.

Recently, I received word on the grapevine that said manger was promoted and is the director of her department. There are multiple roles within my discipline created, and I was sent the email chain- showing comms between several employee's. Turns out she remembered me and basically asked if I'd be interested in any of the roles.

On the application form it asked if I had been referred by a current employee, and and I supplied the email of that employee (the director). She isn't the hiring manager, but she is above them.

She didn't directly refer me, however, another guy did, she just remembered my application last year.

How likely is it that I will get hired? Clearly I'd need to pass an interview but how certain is it? Anybody have any stories to tell?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by royal1990)
    I am a graduate with a degree in the arts, and I know somebody who works within a large multinational corporation.

He and another employee passed on my CV and dropped my name to senior figures in the organisation last summer- letting them know I was a graduate looking for work.

At the time, the head of department was impressed with my CV and there were roles advertised, however nothing came of it.

Recently, I received word on the grapevine that said manger was promoted and is the director of her department. There are multiple roles within my discipline created, and I was sent the email chain- showing comms between several employee's. Turns out she remembered me and basically asked if I'd be interested in any of the roles.

On the application form it asked if I had been referred by a current employee, and and I supplied the email of that employee (the director). She isn't the hiring manager, but she is above them.

She didn't directly refer me, however, another guy did, she just remembered my application last year.

How likely is it that I will get hired? Clearly I'd need to pass an interview but how certain is it? Anybody have any stories to tell?
    In my honest opinion getting referred by someone who already works at that organisation is not your only passport to landing a job there. It is also about your skills and qualities that you can bring to the table.
    Also in most organisations especially large and multinational companies, they expect you to come into an interview - it is not easy getting a job without one!

Saying from experience I used to work for a multinational fashion retail company and whenever I needed a transfer I didn't need to go for an interview. But I know that has all changed now, you actually need an interview nowadays.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.