Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How long is the commute?
    Is it worth commuting?

Im thinking of doing a 2 hour commute to uni. I could also live there but that would mean i would have to pay more. And my first year would be a foundation year.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Very Important Poster
    Welcome Squad
    I currently do a 1 hour 30 minute commute to work. It's doable as I usually play on my phone to pass the time

ReputationRep:
    I commute about an hour. I'm going into second year now, still going to commute. My entire commute for second year will cost me £530 and it's way cheaper than living in. I could always crash at my friends house if I wanted to but I live near Birmingham so there's no point, if I want to go out I'll choose there.

I do a male dominated course unfortunately, which means there's only 8 girls on the course. I've made really good friends with 3 girls on my course, two commute and ones a international student.

Everything's online anyways, I have a lot of tutorials too if I have any questions or something I'm stuck/confused on. Surprisingly, it's made me more independent to do my work as I do majority of my work at home. It doesn't make a difference, probably because I have my own room and I can get work done easily.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dony111)
    How long is the commute?
    Is it worth commuting?

Im thinking of doing a 2 hour commute to uni. I could also live there but that would mean i would have to pay more. And my first year would be a foundation year.
    Try the journey (when schools are back if commuting by road) at the times you will have to travel. See what the real door to door journey time is. They consider whether you can hack it.

ReputationRep:
    I always allow an hour to get to uni but it usually takes like 45 mins max door to door. I don't mind the commute at all, living a wee bit further out means I can live alone and pay much less in rent. 2hrs each way could be quite gruelling though, as above you should do a few trial runs and see how you feel about the commute before committing to it. I'd imagine after the first year you would definitely be tempted to move closer.

ReputationRep:
    My commute averages about 1.5 hours each way, and it's a pain in the ***. I wouldn't recommend it unless you are attending the kind of course that only requires you to be in 2 or 3 days a week, and/or if you are quite content for your life to consist of nothing apart from studying, commuting, eating and sleeping for the next 3 or 4 years.

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't even consider commuting any further than 45 minutes each way.

Think of how much time you're wasting!

ReputationRep:
    I am going to commute when I start in September. I will spend 1hour 45mins each way on the bus, catching the bus at 7:17 to get in just in time for 9. I am happy with this decision as it means I don't have to move away from my husband and new house. Don't worry about it and don't let people tell you it is the wrong thing to do as everyone has different reasons and circumstances for choosing to commute. I know it will be hard work but is the best thing for me. I terms of expenses it will cost about £500 a year to take the bus whereas if I lived on campus that would be cost for the room and travel on top of that to go back to see my husband at the weekends! You can always change your mind after a year if the first year is too much.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.