Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So I'm a mature student from the EU (I turned 21 this year). I've wanted to study English literature (or English language and literature) at a top university in England (Oxbridge, Durham, UCL or Exeter) since I was 7 years old. Long story short, my country isn't the easiest of places to sit an A-level (or equivalent) in English literature (this is a long, complicated story), so I applied for an English and American studies degree course at a university over here, hoping that it would prepare me for an MA at one of the above universities. I was going to finish this course and then apply to the uK for an MA/MPhil, but these two semesters have proved to me that this course isn't going to prepare me for an MA (or even a BA) in the UK. It's designed for EFL learners so the literature we study is actually GCSE level! Most people come to study here just to get a degree in something that doesn'T seem too demanding at first, or just to learn English, which is clearly not what this course is (or should be) for. Most of the students here consider serious subjects such as English literature or linguistics "filler" subjects. Back in February I had a long conversation with one of my seminar tutors, and she told me right there and then that if I'm truly serious about studying English, I should apply to a British university as soon as possible. I applied to 5 unies and got 4 offers - one conditional one and 3 unconditional ones, but as I couldn't start uni this September due to personal circumstances, and most of my uni choices didn't offer the kind of financial support I would have needed, so I ended up withdrawing my application (actually, this was entirely accidental because I was only going to remove one choice.)

By the time I submitted my application, all Durham's places had been filled so they gave me an unconditional offer for 2017 (They said they were willing to count my time at university as preparation). I also applied to Cambridge and got an interview, got pooled and then rejected because I didn't have the right kind of grounding in English and of course I didn'T have the level 3 qualification in English that they ask for.

I've only just found out that I may not be eligible for student finance for my full course because by the time I start universit y (I'm reapplying, of course!), I will have been in higher education (on a course that isn't suitable for me) for two years! I would gladly drop out, but I can't possibly do so because we pretty much live on the bursary I get from uni (I'm one of three , two of us have been blind from birth and our single mother raised us all by herself. We used to live on benefits, and even now that she does have a job, we live on the equivalent of less than £100 a month), plus I do get some private tuition in English literature. (I have one British university tutor who studied at Cambridge himself.) A tuition fee loan plus the bursaries and scholarships my university choices (and external organisations) offer would cover the cost of my studies. I have plans for the future and I'm not applying for English just because "it's interesting" or becuase "all I'll have to do is read". Is there absolutely no way I could get a tuition fee loan for my first year? I couldn't possibly self-fund my first year! If this is the case, will this also affect my entitlement to bursaries and scholarships?

Does anyone happen to know of any scholarships or grants from external sources that I could apply for?

Admins, feel free to move this thread where it should be. To everyone else, no rude comments, please! Please think twice before you start telling me that "if you can't afford something, you just have to go without" or "just accept you can't afford an English degree".. It's clearly the last thing I need now!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Clearing and Applications Advisor
    (Original post by dorababy1995)
    So I'm a mature student from the EU (I turned 21 this year). I've wanted to study English literature (or English language and literature) at a top university in England (Oxbridge, Durham, UCL or Exeter) since I was 7 years old. Long story short, my country isn't the easiest of places to sit an A-level (or equivalent) in English literature (this is a long, complicated story), so I applied for an English and American studies degree course at a university over here, hoping that it would prepare me for an MA at one of the above universities. I was going to finish this course and then apply to the uK for an MA/MPhil, but these two semesters have proved to me that this course isn't going to prepare me for an MA (or even a BA) in the UK. It's designed for EFL learners so the literature we study is actually GCSE level! Most people come to study here just to get a degree in something that doesn'T seem too demanding at first, or just to learn English, which is clearly not what this course is (or should be) for. Most of the students here consider serious subjects such as English literature or linguistics "filler" subjects. Back in February I had a long conversation with one of my seminar tutors, and she told me right there and then that if I'm truly serious about studying English, I should apply to a British university as soon as possible. I applied to 5 unies and got 4 offers - one conditional one and 3 unconditional ones, but as I couldn't start uni this September due to personal circumstances, and most of my uni choices didn't offer the kind of financial support I would have needed, so I ended up withdrawing my application (actually, this was entirely accidental because I was only going to remove one choice.)

By the time I submitted my application, all Durham's places had been filled so they gave me an unconditional offer for 2017 (They said they were willing to count my time at university as preparation). I also applied to Cambridge and got an interview, got pooled and then rejected because I didn't have the right kind of grounding in English and of course I didn'T have the level 3 qualification in English that they ask for.

I've only just found out that I may not be eligible for student finance for my full course because by the time I start universit y (I'm reapplying, of course!), I will have been in higher education (on a course that isn't suitable for me) for two years! I would gladly drop out, but I can't possibly do so because we pretty much live on the bursary I get from uni (I'm one of three , two of us have been blind from birth and our single mother raised us all by herself. We used to live on benefits, and even now that she does have a job, we live on the equivalent of less than £100 a month), plus I do get some private tuition in English literature. (I have one British university tutor who studied at Cambridge himself.) A tuition fee loan plus the bursaries and scholarships my university choices (and external organisations) offer would cover the cost of my studies. I have plans for the future and I'm not applying for English just because "it's interesting" or becuase "all I'll have to do is read". Is there absolutely no way I could get a tuition fee loan for my first year? I couldn't possibly self-fund my first year! If this is the case, will this also affect my entitlement to bursaries and scholarships?

Does anyone happen to know of any scholarships or grants from external sources that I could apply for?

Admins, feel free to move this thread where it should be. To everyone else, no rude comments, please! Please think twice before you start telling me that "if you can't afford something, you just have to go without" or "just accept you can't afford an English degree".. It's clearly the last thing I need now!
    You are entitled to a tuition fee loan which covers the length of you degree plus one extra gift year (most people don't use their gift year; it exists in case you fail and need to repeat a year). If you spend 1 year in higher education in your home country then you will lose this gift year, if you spend 2 years in higher education then you lose your gift year and you will have to self-fund the first year of your BA in the UK. Unfortunately there is no other loan available to pay for your first year. Have you asked Durham if they have any grants or scholarships available to people in your situation? It's not very likely, but that's the only thing I can think of suggesting.

How would you support yourself in the UK? You aren't entitled to maintenance loans and the cost of living is much higher than in Hungary. Maybe you should consider studying somewhere else in the EU. Ireland is a good option, if you can get into Durham and you were pooled at Cambridge then you have a decent shot at Trinity College Dublin (a very prestigious university). Alternatively, the University of Groningen in the Netherlands has an English degree taught in English.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Snufkin)
    You are entitled to a tuition fee loan which covers the length of you degree plus one extra gift year (most people don't use their gift year; it exists in case you fail and need to repeat a year). If you spend 1 year in higher education in your home country then you will lose this gift year, if you spend 2 years in higher education then you lose your gift year and you will have to self-fund the first year of your BA in the UK. Unfortunately there is no other loan available to pay for your first year. Have you asked Durham if they have any grants or scholarships available to people in your situation? It's not very likely, but that's the only thing I can think of suggesting.

How would you support yourself in the UK? You aren't entitled to maintenance loans and the cost of living is much higher than in Hungary. Maybe you should consider studying somewhere else in the EU. Ireland is a good option, if you can get into Durham and you were pooled at Cambridge then you have a decent shot at Trinity College Dublin (a very prestigious university). Alternatively, the University of Groningen in the Netherlands has an English degree taught in English.

All my uni choices have enough bursaries towards my accommodation and living costs, and I have contacted the Snowden Trust about disability support costs (An admissions tutor at Cambridge recommended them to me), and my uni choices are all willing to meet the cost of academic support. It's this first year that ...

ReputationRep:
    Will this affect my entitlement to uni-based bursaries and/or scholarships?

ReputationRep:
    Plus I can get a grant from Hungary too.

ReputationRep:
    Trinity College Dublin does sound like a plan - I'll look into it, but I want to explore all my options. If anyone happens to know of any grants/scholarships I could apply for, do let me know.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi. As an EU student there is certain criteria which is set that would need to be meet to enable to be assessed for full support as a home student or just a tuition fee loan . Although you may not meet the residency criteria you could still be eligible for just a tuition fee loan from us. You can find out details of the criteria and process to apply at the following link http://bit.ly/2beLT3x. With regards to your inquiry of any other support that may be available to you i.e. scholarships/bursaries, we would advise that you would be best to contact the University directly. Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hugh SFE)
    Hi. As an EU student there is certain criteria which is set that would need to be meet to enable to be assessed for full support as a home student or just a tuition fee loan . Although you may not meet the residency criteria you could still be eligible for just a tuition fee loan from us. You can find out details of the criteria and process to apply at the following link http://bit.ly/2beLT3x. With regards to your inquiry of any other support that may be available to you i.e. scholarships/bursaries, we would advise that you would be best to contact the University directly. Thanks

My apologies - I have just noticed that this forum is exclusively FOR SFE. I have checked and technically, I would be eligible for a tuition fee from you. It's my first year I'm worried about (see above).

ReputationRep:
    Considering my special circumstances, is there absolutely no way you could make an exception for me? As I said, I would gladly drop out of my current course, but I have explained why that will not be possible. Naturally, if I do find a way, I will take this step because I couldn't possibly take up a place at an English university without a tuitio fee loan. (I will definitely submit all the necessary documents - I have done my research already.)

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.