Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

best way to film video watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I want to buy a camera to film my niece but dunno what camera to get either a mirrorless, a dslr or a camcorder. I wanna be able to take pictures with it as well. I only wanna pay maybe 300 to 350. So do you guys know the best cameras for mostly filming/video?

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by karl pilkington)
    I want to buy a camera to film my niece but dunno what camera to get either a mirrorless, a dslr or a camcorder. I wanna be able to take pictures with it as well. I only wanna pay maybe 300 to 350. So do you guys know the best cameras for mostly filming/video?
    Will it be close up stuff you're filming or do you need a load of zoom range? Do you mind buying used?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Will it be close up stuff you're filming or do you need a load of zoom range? Do you mind buying used?
    need a bit of zoom but mostly close up indoors stuff would consider used but prefer new

ReputationRep:
    Thinking of getting this one

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produc...er/1665956.htm

ReputationRep:
    need a bit of zoom but mostly close up indoors stuff would consider used but prefer new
    The problem with camcorders is that they use Tony sensors, which allows for massive zoom.ranges but image quality is not really any better than a decent smartphone's video, and still quality will be a good bit worse. Low light is also going to be pretty disappointing compared to a larger sensor camera.
    I would personally suggest getting either a Sony RX100 mk I or an entry level DSLR like the Canon 100D or Nikon D3300. The RX100 series have long been the favourite compact cameras of YouTube bloggers for the larger than average sensor, bright zoom lens and excellent video quality. On the other hand a DSLR will let you buy different lenses like telephotos for getting far superior video at a distance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    The problem with camcorders is that they use Tony sensors, which allows for massive zoom.ranges but image quality is not really any better than a decent smartphone's video, and still quality will be a good bit worse. Low light is also going to be pretty disappointing compared to a larger sensor camera.
    I would personally suggest getting either a Sony RX100 mk I or an entry level DSLR like the Canon 100D or Nikon D3300. The RX100 series have long been the favourite compact cameras of YouTube bloggers for the larger than average sensor, bright zoom lens and excellent video quality. On the other hand a DSLR will let you buy different lenses like telephotos for getting far superior video at a distance.
    yeah I was thinking of the nikon d3300 the only problem is you cant see the video as well when filming compared to a camcorder, also you can hear the focussing motor on the nikon. Do you think a nikon d3300 would be better than the camcorder I just mentioned or maybe this camcorder. The camcorders are much cheaper aswell.

http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7617/Show.html

ReputationRep:
    the only problem is you cant see the video as well when filming compared to a camcorder
    what do you mean? You see what's being recorded on the rear monitor while recording.

also you can hear the focussing motor on the nikon.
    This is one reason I generally favour Canon for video work, their STM line of lenses are all extremely quiet, including the kit lens.
    Do you think a nikon d3300 would be better than the camcorder I just mentioned or maybe this camcorder. The camcorders are much cheaper aswell. Also look into the Sony A5000 (Nikon actually use Sony sensors in their cameras), their lenses tend to be very quiet too.
    * http://www.jessops.com/online.store/...7617/Show.html
    The camcorders are cheaper because they're worse, you don't get a smaller camera with a much larger zoom and that costs less without the trade-off of significantly smaller imaging sensors- the means worse dynamic range, worse low light performance, and generally just pedestrian quality video. If your budget is the most important thing to you then the camcorder will do a very serviceable job, but you were asking for the best quality video and for that, you want a larger sensor camera.

ReputationRep:
    Not like this

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/news...-Pro-mode.html

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.