Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Who commutes to Uni? 2016 - Applicants and Returning Students Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    How long do you have to travel for?
    Is it worth it?
    How much free time do you have after?
    Who is planning to commute - 2016 entry?
    Commuting fee?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dony111)
    How long do you have to travel for?
    Is it worth it?
    How much free time do you have after?
    Who is planning to commute - 2016 entry?
    Commuting fee?
    Hi, I don't commute that far as I still live in Colchester but my commute takes around 45 minutes to the University of Essex.
    I think it is worth it, if I get into University early I can catch up on any reading for lectures and as I have spent the time travelling to University I make sure I make the most of being there.
    I have a lot of free time around my studies even after working part time and studying.
    I am currently going into my third year and will continue to commute as I find you can get more for your money in terms of renting.
    As I get the bus my commuting fee is just my yearly bus pass which is £160 a year.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CampusCat)
    Hi, I don't commute that far as I still live in Colchester but my commute takes around 45 minutes to the University of Essex.
    I think it is worth it, if I get into University early I can catch up on any reading for lectures and as I have spent the time travelling to University I make sure I make the most of being there.
    I have a lot of free time around my studies even after working part time and studying.
    I am currently going into my third year and will continue to commute as I find you can get more for your money in terms of renting.
    As I get the bus my commuting fee is just my yearly bus pass which is £160 a year.
    That yearly pass, can you go outside Colchester with it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    That yearly pass, can you go outside Colchester with it?
    The yearly pass for £160 only covers Colchester. A yearly pass which covers Clacton and Marks Tey costs £285, whilst a yearly pass covering the whole of Essex costs £500. Hope that has answered your question

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CampusCat)
    The yearly pass for £160 only covers Colchester. A yearly pass which covers Clacton and Marks Tey costs £285, whilst a yearly pass covering the whole of Essex costs £500. Hope that has answered your question
    Thanks a lot
    Do you know how much a return costs from the uni to the main square in Colchester?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakemittle)
    Thanks a lot
    Do you know how much a return costs from the uni to the main square in Colchester?
    No worries! I believe it costs around £3 to get a return from Uni into town

ReputationRep:
    I live in Chelmsford. The train journey will be about 20 Minutes, and then about 20 minutes walk. I'm starting in 2 weeks and I'm incredibly nervous. I have to commute for some family-related reasons.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nebulousViolet)
    I live in Chelmsford. The train journey will be about 20 Minutes, and then about 20 minutes walk. I'm starting in 2 weeks and I'm incredibly nervous. I have to commute for some family-related reasons.
    I am commuting to Essex uni aswell! Feeling a little nervous too!

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: September 25, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.