Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    This topic really vexes me. Dont you just get annoyed at those charity do-gooders who ask for money at your door step, and when you say no, sorry. Then they try and make you feel bad, and guilt you in giving money, and saying its bad luck not to give??!! Charity should be proactive, and from your heart - any other method is tainted isnt it? Arrggghhhh :mad: (just had a visit from one!)

ReputationRep:
    yeah that's the problem with those charity people they're not like jehovah's witnesses you can't slam the door on them without feeling very guilty

ReputationRep:
    I had a bad one, some charity worker knocked on the door

charity worker : have you heard of these charities (shows me a board with a list of charities and logos"

me: Yes

charity worker : which ones?

me: The cancer ones, my mums got cancer

charity worker : well that's good isn't it?

me: no not really (shut door in face)

A few years ago (about 30) my mum answered the door to a woman who said "I'm collecting for the national childrens' home"

My mum said, Ok just hold on a moment, went and fetchen my brother and me and thrust us through the door at her saying "you can have these two"

strangly the woman didn't see the funny side

ReputationRep:
    Whats so wrong about going to peoples doors and asking for money. Its the only way that charities can make money, and if they don't there will me many starvin' jimmy's in Africa tonight. You understand?

Sure they are annoying as hell, but for every 10 people that slam the door shut. There will be one who is willing to donate, and it is those people the charities are targetting, as it is those people who make the difference.

Also, charities come to peoples doors, as many people don't have the time, or knowledge of how to give to charities, and they may actually want to. They also target those people.

Think about it.

ReputationRep:
    i disagree. those people who do give when people knock on your doors, are most likely to give anyway. No matter what provocation the askee does. Its just wrong when they go its about religion, and say u'll have bad luck if you dont. Doesnt any religion say give what you can?

And those charity-people askers...they probably think they're on such moral high. But I beg to differ.

ReputationRep:
    If I ran a charity, I would fire, hmn, all the VOLUNTEERS that wouldn't leave people alone. The people are just out to help something. They aren't motivated by money, just a desire to help.

ReputationRep:
    gr person who obviously wasnt poor was selling the big issue, makes you sick when you consider that others really do need the money from that

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Speciez99)
    gr person who obviously wasnt poor was selling the big issue, makes you sick when you consider that others really do need the money from that
    i think the big issue is such a good idea even if its not the best of magasines we have this guy near my school who sells them and he's always so happy when you buy one which may sound shallow but its much nicer than buying it of someone who grunts. is it just me or do people tend to buy things like the big issue in poorer areas compared to rich areas

ReputationRep:
    i havent really noticed. But they dontget sold much in my area, except when i go into town or city, but yeahbig issue is agood idea.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BloodyValentine)
    i think the big issue is such a good idea even if its not the best of magasines we have this guy near my school who sells them and he's always so happy when you buy one which may sound shallow but its much nicer than buying it of someone who grunts. is it just me or do people tend to buy things like the big issue in poorer areas compared to rich areas
    when i said "that" i meant selling the big issue and that it is a good idea for clarification

ReputationRep:
    Whats so wrong about going to peoples doors and asking for money. Its the only way that charities can make money, and if they don't there will me many starvin' jimmy's in Africa tonight. You understand?
    They guilt trip you, and I don't agree with that, also they get paid for doing it- for every £ made for charity 70% of it goes to the overheads including employing ppl to do that- companies actually exist to recruit good door to door guilt makers and some make profits in excess of £500,000 a year, which in my mind would be better off going straight to those that need it..

I don't disagree with charity, but the projects that they try to run are just too big to handle in real life situations..

ReputationRep:
    What i really hate are those 'chuggers' who approach people (hassle them) in the street and try to get people to sign up to donate to charity monthly by standing order or similar. They are actually quite aggressive and people like my gran sign up because they are scared. Plus, as mentioned already, the 'sales people' get a hefty proportion of any money donated.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)
    This topic really vexes me. Dont you just get annoyed at those charity do-gooders who ask for money at your door step, and when you say no, sorry. Then they try and make you feel bad, and guilt you in giving money, and saying its bad luck not to give??!! Charity should be proactive, and from your heart - any other method is tainted isnt it? Arrggghhhh :mad: (just had a visit from one!)
    im all for charity but i agree that there is a point where it's just plain harassment! lol :P Everyone has a right to say no and no one should make you feel bad about that... thats just wrong.

ReputationRep:
    It's a numbers game.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JnA)

I don't give to any charity that uses street canvasers (at £8 plus!). The last one that verbally abused me tried to say that I was the scum of the earth for not supporting 'his' cancer charity. He went quiet when I asked how much he was on and pointed out I volunteeered in a hospice for free.

Total dicks!

ReputationRep:
    what about those religious people trying to convert you...miraculously on your doorstep!!! They do it for free dont they?

Do thesepeople get a lot of money this way - it seems a waste to me?

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 20, 2004
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.