Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is there any medicine places available for people from less privilidged backgrounds Watch

ReputationRep:
    i was just wondering if there were places available at unis seperately to normal places for people from less privileged backgrounds.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WIZ255)
    i was just wondering if there were places available at unis seperately to normal places for people from less privileged backgrounds.
    http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...icine_Programs

ReputationRep:
    There are foundation schemes for people who either haven't taken the correct a-levels or that come from disadvantaged backgrounds, from the top of my head I know Durham have widening access scheme. Check TSR's medicine wiki for a list of all the courses

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for they help!

I was wondering I moved over from an EU country in year 8 into a normal school with speaking very little of the English language my parents didn't have the opportunity for to go to a uni and earn less than £35,000 per year does that contribute to this foundation year scheme?

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for they help!

I was wondering I moved over from an EU country in year 8 into a normal school with speaking very little of the English language my parents didn't have the opportunity for to go to a uni and earn less than £35,000 per year does that contribute to this foundation year scheme?
    Your parents' salaries will affect how much money you can get from student finance. Having moved here in year 8 and your parents not having degrees is not going to affect anything. After all, if you're thinking of uni then you would have lived here long enough that language shouldn't be a problem, and neither should GCSEs or A levels since you had a chance to do them here. What are you doing now, have you done A levels yet?

Foundation courses are kinda like a degree, but they are at a lower level (kinda like A levels) so they have lower grade requirements. They are a good option if you didn't do great at a levels but still want a good university/degree.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for they help!

Hi there, the poster above is wrong - for some universities those two conditions are important. If you look here - http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...nicalyear.aspx - there is a list of foundation programmes and if you look on the university websites you'll be able to see the various entry requirements. The point of these courses is that they have lower offers for those who might struggle to get AAA at A level. If you think you can get that you should apply for regular programmes, but if you get predicted BBB or BBC some of these programmes might be useful to look at. However they are still very competitive so you will need a good UKCAT and personal statement the same as for regular entry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by violin101)
    Hi there, the poster above is wrong - for some universities those two conditions are important. If you look here - http://www.medschools.ac.uk/Students...nicalyear.aspx - there is a list of foundation programmes and if you look on the university websites you'll be able to see the various entry requirements. The point of these courses is that they have lower offers for those who might struggle to get AAA at A level. If you think you can get that you should apply for regular programmes, but if you get predicted BBB or BBC some of these programmes might be useful to look at. However they are still very competitive so you will need a good UKCAT and personal statement the same as for regular entry.
    Now that I think about it, whether or not parents studied at university does tend to affect a lot of things, especially things that are meant to help you get into university. So yeah my mistake there, sorry.

However as someone who moved here in year 7, while my sister did in year 10, I don't see why that would be looked at when applying to university. If you've been here for several years, you should speak English fluently. I don't think my secondary school offered any kind of extenuating circumstances in exams for anyone who has lived here for more than 2 years (if they did at all). Plus if due to language issues you don't do as well in exams then that's what foundation courses and retakes are for. Do universities really care if you moved here as a child? (Genuinely asking because curious)

ReputationRep:
    The reason I'm giving reasons like these is because I've had people tell me that those are reasons that played part in them gaining a place through foundation year.it plays a part in being "disadvantaged"

One girl from my ex school got into medicine but she was like the first in her family to go uni.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nadile)
    Now that I think about it, whether or not parents studied at university does tend to affect a lot of things, especially things that are meant to help you get into university. So yeah my mistake there, sorry.

However as someone who moved here in year 7, while my sister did in year 10, I don't see why that would be looked at when applying to university. If you've been here for several years, you should speak English fluently. I don't think my secondary school offered any kind of extenuating circumstances in exams for anyone who has lived here for more than 2 years (if they did at all). Plus if due to language issues you don't do as well in exams then that's what foundation courses and retakes are for. Do universities really care if you moved here as a child? (Genuinely asking because curious)
    The two conditions I was referring to were the income and being the first to go to university. I would agree with you that moving to the country would play no part in an application to university.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.