The Student Room Group

How much did you pay for your first car & car insurance

Scroll to see replies

Original post by IWMTom
Dayum, that's hella unfortunate. You defy the statistics!

What's unfortunate is I never crashed into anything expensive, atleast then the insurance would feel a lot less like daylight robbery.
£6000 for a Corsa Black Edition and £2000 for No black box insurance
Paid £1900 on a Seat Ibiza FR, which was then recalled, so I consider my ford fiesta to be my true first car now; which is £2200. Both were/are on credit so really it's a bit more than above - Marmalade put £1300 towards it because they couldn't insure my postcode so I like to be cheeky and pretend my first year is 900 The ibiza was due to be boxed, the fiesta I cancelled 2 black box policies within cool-off as I decided I'd be better off paying a bit more and fitting a dashcam as motivation to not be an idiot; also have 1 accident declared.

Considering where I live this is cheap.
(edited 6 years ago)
My car insurance is due for renewal soon. I'm really suprised my premium has actually slightly (only very very slightly gone up) from last year. I didn't have any accidents/make any claims.

Maybe this year premiums have just gone up as a whole. I was just interested to know if anyones premium actually dropped in their second year or is it normal for it just stay the same ?
Reply 44
£1750 for a 52 reg polo from a dodgy estate in Mitcham.
Insurance was £1750 from Churchills with black box.
Reply 45
Original post by futuremedic19
My car insurance is due for renewal soon. I'm really suprised my premium has actually slightly (only very very slightly gone up) from last year. I didn't have any accidents/make any claims.

Maybe this year premiums have just gone up as a whole. I was just interested to know if anyones premium actually dropped in their second year or is it normal for it just stay the same ?

This is normal, happened to me. Renewals are usually quite a rip-off anyway. Loyalty is rarely rewarded.

I was on £1300/year on a group 38 vehicle. After another year of no claims, the premium went up. Changed to a group 50+ vehicle, to my surprise, other insurers were quoting just £1300. Go figure.
Original post by NX172
This is normal, happened to me. Renewals are usually quite a rip-off anyway. Loyalty is rarely rewarded.

I was on £1300/year on a group 38 vehicle. After another year of no claims, the premium went up. Changed to a group 50+ vehicle, to my surprise, other insurers were quoting just £1300. Go figure.

Honestly it bewilders me how the premium can actually go up. I thought it was all based on statistics. Surely someone who has recently passed is much more like to make a claim in their first year than someone who has one year driving experience and a years no claim bonus.
I'm probably going to phone around and try and switch my insurance provider now.
Is it true that your insurance isn't really going to come down until after 25 ?

Do some shopping around. This is very normal, premiums won't go down by much at renewal (or in some cases, such as yours, will go up).

Try calling up your insurer to see if they can give you any discount, if not look for other insurers.
Honestly it bewilders me how the premium can actually go up. I thought it was all based on statistics. Surely someone who has recently passed is much more like to make a claim in their first year than someone who has one year driving experience and a years no claim bonus.
I'm probably going to phone around and try and switch my insurance provider now.
Is it true that your insurance isn't really going to come down until after 25 ?

Underwriting criteria probably changed during the year, that's why. When that happens all you can do is switch
And no, I still think this "when you turn 25 it gets a lot cheaper" thing is a Myth. I've done quotes twiddling the details for me to be a year older, doesn't make much difference lol. My friend who's a lorry driver has 7 years NCB at the moment, but when she turned 19 her insurance by that point was almost half of what I pay now on a similar insurance grouped car, and I'm 24.
Paid £1.2k for the car, and insurance was just over £4K fully comp :frown:(( was so upset. But that’s bcos I was 17. I’ve had one year ncd and it’s just been renewed to £1.7k which is still a lot but much better than before. Doesn’t help that I’m based in London so it’s higher
Reply 50
Original post by nevershear
I still think this "when you turn 25 it gets a lot cheaper" thing is a Myth

Correct, and also not.

What most people don't seem to be able to grasp is that it's a sliding scale between 17 and 25 - the closer towards 25 you get, the lower the premiums get. They do not just suddenly drop on your 25th birthday, which is what most people seem to think.
Original post by IWMTom
Correct, and also not.

What most people don't seem to be able to grasp is that it's a sliding scale between 17 and 25 - the closer towards 25 you get, the lower the premiums get. They do not just suddenly drop on your 25th birthday, which is what most people seem to think.

Yeah, s'what I meant, but didn't make it clear enough :P
Reply 52
Original post by nevershear
Underwriting criteria probably changed during the year, that's why. When that happens all you can do is switch
And no, I still think this "when you turn 25 it gets a lot cheaper" thing is a Myth. I've done quotes twiddling the details for me to be a year older, doesn't make much difference lol. My friend who's a lorry driver has 7 years NCB at the moment, but when she turned 19 her insurance by that point was almost half of what I pay now on a similar insurance grouped car, and I'm 24.

I don't think it's a myth at all. There are a lot of contributing factors, but my insurance was surprisingly low which I can only attribute to my age. Sad truth is that under 25's are widely considered significantly more risk to insurance companies than over 25's.

I'm 26 and bought my first car last year. I have a 55 reg Toyota Yaris T-Sport (insurance group 15) and I had a quote of £775 full comprehensive, no black box + legal cover. Bear in mind, the quotes can range significantly between providers so you have to shop around for the best deals.

This year I'm expecting my insurance will drop to around £350-£400 with only 1 years NCB.
(edited 6 years ago)
£13000 for car and £2000 insurance 17 year old
Reply 54
I'm 20 male

1st year - £900 (learner insurance)
2nd year - £1500
3rd year - £568

All comprehensive and no black box. Also had 2 years NCB for the 3rd year
Reply 55
Mini Cooper 1.6l, cost £2500 to buy, insurance is £1700 for the first year. I’m 17, I’m the policyholder, owner and keeper of the car. It isn’t the cheapest of cars to insurance but I wouldn’t swap it for anything
Original post by M3g5
Mini Cooper 1.6l, cost £2500 to buy, insurance is £1700 for the first year. I’m 17, I’m the policyholder, owner and keeper of the car. It isn’t the cheapest of cars to insurance but I wouldn’t swap it for anything

Just curious, is that with a black box? And the car doesn’t have a turbo does it?
£7.5k for Polo and insurance is 2.5k I think? parents pay for it lol
Reply 58
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Just curious, is that with a black box? And the car doesn’t have a turbo does it?

It does have a turbo and a black box x
2.0L diesel Astra with all the extras, Satnav, Parking Sensors and rear camera
£7k for the car and £1.2k for the insurance

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending