Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

So scared for GCSE Results Day 2016. I have some questions Watch

ReputationRep:
    I i

ReputationRep:
    Feeling is normal.
    Poor presentation and handwriting doesn't necessarily lower your grade...it may affect your SPaG marks in some subjects. Normally the examiner, then other examiner, then chief/senior examiner do their best to read it otherwise they mark whatever they can read.
    Normally extra paper is clipped on to the exam paper.

ReputationRep:
    Wow. You just sound like you've been panicking.
    I'm waiting for results too but I realised you cant change anything now. May aswell enjoy our last weeks of holiday.
    If you do well in mocks you have nothing to worry about. Just keep calm please. Good luck.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by elifgecer)
    Hey guys I'm so scared about GCSE Results day on Thursday! I'm an A/A* student, and I didn't think my exams this year went too badly, however upon 'reminiscing' on my performance I feel as if I have failed all of them. I am aiming for all As and A*s in my GCSEs as I hope to study medicine at Imperial in the future but I think I may have got some B's questions: is this feeling normal? Will poor presentation/handwriting make me get a lower grade? And lastly how are exams marked if you got extra paper?? Thanks a bunch!
    Sound exactly me, so i guess it's normal

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys I'm so scared about GCSE Results day on Thursday! I'm an A/A* student, and I didn't think my exams this year went too badly, however upon 'reminiscing' on my performance I feel as if I have failed all of them. I am aiming for all As and A*s in my GCSEs as I hope to study medicine at Imperial in the future but I think I may have got some B's questions: is this feeling normal? Will poor presentation/handwriting make me get a lower grade? And lastly how are exams marked if you got extra paper?? Thanks a bunch!
    It's kind of ironic, but Imperial doesn't even consider GCSEs anymore for medicine. You could get a U in maths and they wouldn't give a ****. You'll need an ace BMAT though.

On a more serious note, so long as you achieve A grades in maths, English and sciences, there's a good selection of universities open to you, but they are the more entrance exam heavy. If you got those subjects done to a good standard, you'll be fine.
    Sincerely speaking, I got 9A* and 2A and for some reason, I don't think it's really benefitting me as much as I thought it would. It's a bit low for Oxford, and I don't really want to go to Kings, Cardiff or Birmingham, so there you go.

A Levels are the real dictator....

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, I'm absolutely terrified for Thursday and I'm predicted all A's. I do exactly the same and constantly think about how I felt after each exam, which is usually awful. But I find it helps when you compare how you felt to your mock exams in which I'm presuming you did pretty good in judging from your predicted grades. So inanswer to your question, it is perfectly normal, in fact I would say it would be strange if you didn't doubt your results. Presentation won't lower your grade, only English and English literature I'm presuming. And possibly the 6 markers on the science papers depending on what the questions were. Handwriting definitely won't, unless they can't read what you've put at all. If they can't read it then they can't mark it. But the exams are on knowledge, not your handwriting skills.I'm not 100% sure about your last question but if you're worried it won't be marked, then there's nothing to worry about. As long as you slot the piece of paper inside the rest of it with the question number on it, you should be fine. They wouldn't give you extra paper if it isn't going to be marked. I feel like I've gone on for ages so I apologise. I hope this helps to calm you, I'm sure you'll do fine. You're predicted A/A*'s for a reason. Good luck for Thursday!

ReputationRep:

I felt like this before GCSE results day, before AS results day, and before A2 results day. But the fears always turned out to be baseless; you are just winding yourself up as the summer drags on and the anxiety understandably builds.

Poor presentation or handwriting shouldn't cost you any marks so long as the examiner can follow and understand your work. I know many people (myself included) with atrocious presentation and none of us have ever had any problems.

As for how they are marked if you use extra paper I don't know. I assume they will get scanned on like the rest of the paper and appended on the end of your other working for that question. I am an extra paper addict (I did 11 exams this year and used additional paper in atleast 9 of them haha) and I have never had any modules in which it looks like they had not marked it properly, if that is what you are worried about.

Best of luck for results day and beyond.

ReputationRep:
    I'm very similar- I have such high expectations and pressures on me to do so well yet I feel like I've slipped in some subjects. However don't let the marking worry you. Most students use extra paper, atleast in my exam hall I'd say a good 60% of students asked for extra paper in some exams so don't worry about that- the exam office in your school makes sure it gets pinned to your paper and your examiner will know exactly how to mark it.
    As easy as it is to start worrying about the markers and how strict they are, by law, if they're missing a piece of paper, or if the question number wasn't written in the margin, or if your handwriting is messy, they cannot mark you down for it instead they just have to try and figure out what you have written- they're not monsters they appreciate how much hard work you've done in the run upto your exams and believe it or not most examiners are actually looking for marks for you.
    Good luck and try and take your mind off exams for the next 2 days X

ReputationRep:
    Is it just me or does anybody else get that feeling that the extra paper they clipped onto their exam has gone missing....?

ReputationRep:
    OMG this is so similar too me so I think its common Don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HannahBean9)
    Hey, I'm in the same boat as you, I'm absolutely terrified for Thursday and I'm predicted all A's. I do exactly the same and constantly think about how I felt after each exam, which is usually awful. But I find it helps when you compare how you felt to your mock exams in which I'm presuming you did pretty good in judging from your predicted grades. So inanswer to your question, it is perfectly normal, in fact I would say it would be strange if you didn't doubt your results. Presentation won't lower your grade, only English and English literature I'm presuming. And possibly the 6 markers on the science papers depending on what the questions were. Handwriting definitely won't, unless they can't read what you've put at all. If they can't read it then they can't mark it. But the exams are on knowledge, not your handwriting skills.I'm not 100% sure about your last question but if you're worried it won't be marked, then there's nothing to worry about. As long as you slot the piece of paper inside the rest of it with the question number on it, you should be fine. They wouldn't give you extra paper if it isn't going to be marked. I feel like I've gone on for ages so I apologise. I hope this helps to calm you, I'm sure you'll do fine. You're predicted A/A*'s for a reason. Good luck for Thursday!
    Thank you soo much! <3

ReputationRep:
    Feeling so sick right now

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same boat. My exam performance didn't go as well as it could've, especially in C3 when I ran out of time and missed at least 5 marks from just not answering questions that I knew the answers to

I think I'm more worried that I revised ridiculously ridiculously hard and sacrificed so many opportunities for revision, so my friends and family are expecting me to do really well (my family aren't pressurizing me, they're happy and proud whatever I get they aren't like some, but they just think I've revised so much) so I'm going to be so embarrassed for myself if I don't meet my own standards after working so hard

ReputationRep:
    Thank you soo much! <3
    No problem, glad i could help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.