Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    So basically, on the 25th I will receive my GCSE results, but I intend to move to the local grammar school as my subjects aren't being offered at my school. I have known and intended to move for some time, but I didn't inform my head of year because I was rather afraid she would try persuade me to stay and I just couldn't be bothered with the stress during an already stressful exam session.

What on earth do I say when I see her when I collect my results on Thursday...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marcus2016)
    So basically, on the 25th I will receive my GCSE results, but I intend to move to the local grammar school as my subjects aren't being offered at my school. I have known and intended to move for some time, but I didn't inform my head of year because I was rather afraid she would try persuade me to stay and I just couldn't be bothered with the stress during an already stressful exam session.

You tell her exactly what you are doing and if she doesn't like it then it doesn't matter! At this stage in your life it is what you want out of your education that matters from now on, not what someone else thinks.

This sounds horrible, but I speak from experience- you need to learn be more selfish! I used to be like you too, tethered by others thoughts and opinions but they don't matter the only opinion that matters is yours! You do what you wanna do and don't worry about anyone else so long as it isn't illegal- simple.

ReputationRep:
    It doesnt matter, youre never going to see her again so.. Just tell her that its what you want to do and what you think is best. Its your life. Surely she'll understand

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel kind of bad as she is a great head of year.... I guess I will just thank her for the help and then be "oh btw im moving school..." RUN.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't feel pressured to stay where you are at all. You clearly know what you want for your future and know how to get it. Take that confidence and drive and speak to her like an adult and be truthful. Explain that you want to take particular subjects that are not offered where you are and you're moving on.

If you feel like you'll struggle to get it out or your point across, you could always write your reasons for leaving in a letter, ask if you can sit down with her to discuss, hand her the letter to read and then you can discuss your letter afterwards.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Welcome Squad

I get how you feel as our head of year is asking me to stay but i am not going to since i have gotten into my favourite college, all you need to do is just say to her that you have found a place that caters to your needs, if the subjects you want aren't being offered at the school she should be able to understand, plus it's her job to make you stay you shouldn't stay in order to please her IT'S YOUR EDUCATION!

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the advise everyone really appreciate it.
    Not only me going to drop the bombshell a few others aswell moving, I hope it works out.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, I feel kind of bad as she is a great head of year.... I guess I will just thank her for the help and then be "oh btw im moving school..." RUN.
    She's understand if the subjects simply aren't offered. It's not your fault at all you aren't choosing somewhere better; you are choosing somewhere which offers what you want

ReputationRep:

It honestly fazes me how topics like this exist... Do you not have any common sense? You want to move schools, you move, it's not your teachers concern.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.