Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I graduated this year with a 2.2 in textiles, after letter stress and my health get the better of me for the majority of the year which really disappointed me.

Because of all this I realised I haven't even had a chance to figure out who I am as a designer and started to think about doing a MA, I tried to apply for the MA at the University I took my BA but my tutor told me to take a year or two our and focus on interning, then applying.

I've also seen different course and the ones I'd like to apply for all want a 2.1 or a 1st, which I don't have. But they do say that 'work or project experience in a related company role will be taken into consideration as part of the application process.' Does this mean that the work experience will work as an alternative or at least make my 2.2 look more favorable.

I've already been interning for 4 months and have set myself a project to do in my free time, I know that I can't apply this year but I'm just trying to understand if this is an option for me.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    CV Helper
    (Original post by laffinjo)
    I graduated this year with a 2.2 in textiles, after letter stress and my health get the better of me for the majority of the year which really disappointed me.

Because of all this I realised I haven't even had a chance to figure out who I am as a designer and started to think about doing a MA, I tried to apply for the MA at the University I took my BA but my tutor told me to take a year or two our and focus on interning, then applying.

I've also seen different course and the ones I'd like to apply for all want a 2.1 or a 1st, which I don't have. But they do say that 'work or project experience in a related company role will be taken into consideration as part of the application process.' Does this mean that the work experience will work as an alternative or at least make my 2.2 look more favorable.

I've already been interning for 4 months and have set myself a project to do in my free time, I know that I can't apply this year but I'm just trying to understand if this is an option for me.
    You are working in an applied sector, so practical experience is especially important. With a 2.2, the value of real world experience doubles. Don;t focus on 'interning' though, interning tends to be 'work lite' and everyone knows that (employers, recruiters, admissions staff etc), the real work and the real world learning is done in real jobs.

With a 2.2 I'd always advise, but especially in a practical sector, to get a job for at least 2 years, and then re-appraise your ambitions and options.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.