The Student Room Group

A level art?

I love art it was my favourite subject at GCSE and I got a A* in it. Any advice for doing A level art?
Original post by idontknowmedoyou
I love art it was my favourite subject at GCSE and I got a A* in it. Any advice for doing A level art?

Put as much time into it as you can, trust what your teacher tells you to do, and enjoy it! :smile: Also, Pinterest is pretty fab for doing artist research. Get really creative with all the different media you try too, I got really into putting ink and thread in PVA glue and letting it set then peeling it off and stitching it into pieces. Every project I tried as many different things as possible! My friend Amy got full marks and did stuff like letting objects rust onto fabric leaving an image behind, and she let flowers die and coated them in varnish to put in her piece :smile: My friend Tess also got full marks and made sellotape casts of her own hands, arms and face for a piece and stuff like that. Just really get experimental!
Original post by Sloe&AppleJelly
Put as much time into it as you can, trust what your teacher tells you to do, and enjoy it! :smile: Also, Pinterest is pretty fab for doing artist research. Get really creative with all the different media you try too, I got really into putting ink and thread in PVA glue and letting it set then peeling it off and stitching it into pieces. Every project I tried as many different things as possible! My friend Amy got full marks and did stuff like letting objects rust onto fabric leaving an image behind, and she let flowers die and coated them in varnish to put in her piece :smile: My friend Tess also got full marks and made sellotape casts of her own hands, arms and face for a piece and stuff like that. Just really get experimental!

Thanks for the advice, its really helped!:smile: I can't wait to start it!
Ditto. But I didn't choose it for A-level because I wanted to do all sciences. Ended up hating two of my science A-levels. If only I could go back and pick art... I'd much rather have to spend hours of time drawing & painting which I enjoy (and know I would get a good grade after all of the hard work), than hours of time crying into CGP revision guides.
I was persuaded not to do art because it would it would be really time consuming but now I've found out that all A-levels are time consuming, so you may as well pick something you enjoy!

Edit: My advice for A-level art would be to continue your passion on from GCSE (if you got an A* then you are clearly a talented artist and you have it in you to do very well at A-level :smile:)
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by idontknowmedoyou

>Use DeviantArt to get some ideas, and even ask questions to some pros (and also get critique for your work).
>Don't be scared to use materials you don't feel confident with, and spend more time learning how to use it (many useful tutorial on youtube)
>Don't be afraid to ask for help when you feel like you need it, or need an extra opinion
>It's okay to disagree with what your teacher would prefer you doing
Original post by kkboyk
>It's okay to disagree with what your teacher would prefer you doing

You kinda have to trust them sometimes though because they know how to get the marks, especially in the prep work. My teacher got me an A* by us working together and her pushing me out of my comfort zone :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest