Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Success at Youtube seems completely random Watch

ReputationRep:
    As most people do, I browse Youtube when I'm bored and over time I've watched enough different channels to say that whether a Youtube channel becomes successful or not seems completely random.

The channel content can be anything, gaming, science, art, animation or whatever but I've seen channels with incredible content with only a few thousands subscribers and other channels doing the same thing only worse, with hundreds of thousands of subscribers.

I feel sorry for some of them because you can tell they're really trying and putting out good quality content consistantly for over a year and have barely broken 1000 subscribers. Then there are others who have 50,000 subscribers after 6 months or so.

It amazes me how these guys don't get depressed and lose motivation.

ReputationRep:
    That's because success on YouTube is completely random and based nothing on how good content you can produce, tho people will complain less if you produce better content, it's not a need.

ReputationRep:
    Much harder for people to build a good viewer base these days YT is over-saturated and those who were there towards the start of YT have had a massive advantage.

ReputationRep:
    As with everything it's based on exposure, and in this case how high up the search results you appear. YouTube's searching is FUBAR as you can search a very specific title and it will instead show you 20 other results above that specific video of more popular channels' videos with one relevant word in the title.

This could be counteracted by 'video responses', but this proved far too popular and useful a feature so was removed a while ago.

But that covers those that don't succeed. Those that do have loads of views and subscribers don't do so by accident. Their videos are entertaining to enough people and most importantly have a Unique Selling Point.

But if anyone's video or channel was on the front page for a day, regardless of content, it would hit millions. Advertising rules everything.

However, generally, those that fail to succeed are those that go on YouTube looking to succeed, rather than doing videos because they felt like it or wanted to show some friends something.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite tough to be unique enough to gather enough coverage, wouldn't bother.

ReputationRep:
    A lot of Youtube is saturated with the same thing. Taking gaming for example; anyone can stick a webcam on and record themselves playing X game, whilst recording said game with nVidia Shadowplay, MSI Afterburner etc.

So, your content has to be unique. I'll leave it up to the imagination what people would define as such, but fact of the matter is; if you're content is too similar to what others are doing, it won't get noticed.

Of course, you could produce top-quality, unique content and still not get noticed. A combination of luck and exposure are at play here.

ReputationRep:
    Algorithms decide how and where to feature videos. Not entirely random, has inputs.

-Former Youtube Partner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alexjones1994)
    Algorithms decide how and where to feature videos. Not entirely random, has inputs.

-Former Youtube Partner
    "That's all rubbish, it's completely random"

- From YouTube admin

"Something about Pokémon"

- Robert Downey Junior

"I'm here to enable you!"

- Marilyn Monroe

"I touch kids"

- Morgan Freeman

ReputationRep:
    Not completely, some of it is formulaic. Alternative you could just be a decent looking or above female with big breasts- but for those that aren't (and many who still are) it just comes down to consistency, quality, exposure, charisma/the ability to make people want to watch again and a little bit of cross platforming also helps. A lot of the popular channels especially bloggers etc have extremely clickbaity' titles- so I'm guessing that's the way forward too. If you were to combine all of those for a long enough time period I feel like you would most likely build a decent following.

On occasion I see a video where the person is trying extra hard to be funny and failing, nothing more tragic.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered gaming threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.