Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I currently have a 53 reg Volkswagen polo, which my nan gave to me when she bought herself a new car.

However, it's been written off due to some lovely person who decided to drive straight into the side of it.
    Although having checked it out and nothing hazardous, there seems to be oil or similar where I park the car meaning a small leak somewhere.
    I'll be going to university next year, I'm 19 and have been driving for over a year, and I'm thinking getting a new car can only be a good thing. However... I'm good at spending money on things I don't need!

Convince me to spend my money on something useful and responsible, rather than on stuff I'll look back on in a few years and think "...meh, did I really need that".

Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    An oil leak is a very stupid reason to sell a car

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uW0t)
    An oil leak is a very stupid reason to sell a car
    If you read my OP I'm not selling it. Did I say that was the reason I was wanting a new car?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    Convince me to spend my money on something useful and responsible, rather than on stuff I'll look back on in a few years and think "...meh, did I really need that".

Thank you!
    Spend your money on something useful! Not on a car that you don't need and will regret buying!

That's should do the job 😀
    Since you already seem to know it is not a smart idea to buy another car.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A-LJLB)
    I currently have a 53 reg Volkswagen polo, which my nan gave to me when she bought herself a new car.

However, it's been written off due to some lovely person who decided to drive straight into the side of it.
    Although having checked it out and nothing hazardous, there seems to be oil or similar where I park the car meaning a small leak somewhere.
    I'll be going to university next year, I'm 19 and have been driving for over a year, and I'm thinking getting a new car can only be a good thing. However... I'm good at spending money on things I don't need!

Thank you!
    Let me give you three quotes.

Two from you: "I'm thinking getting a new car" and "I'll be going to university next year"

One from The Independent: "This year’s university graduates are facing debt levels over a third of the cost of the average mortgage."

Problem solved?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economistician)
    Spend your money on something useful! Not on a car that you don't need and will regret buying!

That's should do the job 😀
    Since you already seem to know it is not a smart idea to buy another car.
    When did I say that haha?

(Original post by GaryIsASloth)
    Let me give you three quotes.

Two from you: "I'm thinking getting a new car" and "I'll be going to university next year"

One from The Independent: "This year’s university graduates are facing debt levels over a third of the cost of the average mortgage."

Problem solved?
    Student debt isn't a problem for me, but thank you for your advice

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.