Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I have about 2 days left to decide so it's not the best time to be changing my mind. My choices were originally Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, and Spanish.
    My dilemma is that I'm now thinking I should take Maths instead of Spanish. I don't know what to do because I enjoy both but I know maths would work better with my sciences and I could carry on Spanish at any point in my life.

Suggestions/advice?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MoreThanSmart)
    I have about 2 days left to decide so it's not the best time to be changing my mind. My choices were originally Biology, Chemistry, English Lit, and Spanish.
    My dilemma is that I'm now thinking I should take Maths instead of Spanish. I don't know what to do because I enjoy both but I know maths would work better with my sciences and I could carry on Spanish at any point in my life.

Suggestions/advice?
    On subjects reformed, the new A-level Biology has 10% of maths incorporated in its exams (on Edexcel exam board anyway), while Chemistry at A-level has 20% of marks available for mathematical skills in chemical context (on the OCR B exam board anyway).

I'm taking Biology and Chemistry, and originally wasn't going to take maths at A-level, but decided to instead because it does come in handy. It's not essential you take maths, just as long as you have a decent understanding of maths.

If you're wondering what you'll need to be capable of completing, A-level Chemistry (on OCR board at least) will involve mathematically, here it is:
    -Carry out calculations using numbers in both ordinary and standard form
    -Round answers in calculations to a given number of significant figures
    -Calculate a mean
    -Use ratios, fractions and percentages
    -Change the subject of an equation
    -Plot a graph using suitable axes and drawing a line of best fit.

ReputationRep:

Suggestions/advice?
    Do maths

ReputationRep:
    Maths is way more helpful for keeping university options open.

And A-level languages won't even make you fluent. You'll need to study the language even more to be able to speak it near-fluently.

ReputationRep:

Suggestions/advice?
    UPDATE
    I'm still stressing about this and really don't even want to think about uni yet

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.