The Student Room Group

Literature with differing political interpretations

Hi,

As part of a project I'm doing I'm looking for a book which has very different political interpretations, ideally the opposite ends of the spectrum (ie. Marxist and conservative, Feminist and misogynist etc etc).

Any ideas spring to mind?

Thanks a lot
Animal farm
Reply 2
Shakespeare is good (I know this is quite general)
- his portrayal of female characters is interesting since the feminist/misogynist division didn't exist at that time
+ read about Marxist interpretations of his work, e.g: how he portrays class struggle in his plays.
- could be conservative: is he upholding religious/royal authority?

Sorry this is quite vague. I suppose it can be hard to find a book with contrary interpretations, as most of the time the author tends to have their own opinion. Although I suppose it's definitely possible, and to some extent it depends on how you decide to interpret the work.
Reply 3
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Animal farm

Original post by loletta
Shakespeare is good (I know this is quite general)
- his portrayal of female characters is interesting since the feminist/misogynist division didn't exist at that time
+ read about Marxist interpretations of his work, e.g: how he portrays class struggle in his plays.
- could be conservative: is he upholding religious/royal authority?

Sorry this is quite vague. I suppose it can be hard to find a book with contrary interpretations, as most of the time the author tends to have their own opinion. Although I suppose it's definitely possible, and to some extent it depends on how you decide to interpret the work.

Thanks, anyone else got any ideas?
Original post by rampallian
Thanks, anyone else got any ideas?

Trainspotting
Hard Times
Handmaid's Tale
One that Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest
A Clockwork Orange
Jane Eyre
The Mill on the Floss
Fahrenheit 451
Cloud Nine/Top Girls (play)A Doll's House (play)
A Streetcar Named Desire (play)

A lot of colonial and post-colonial literature is excellent like The Purple Hibiscus, Things Fall Apart. Slave narratives are very political like My Bondage and Freedom or The Incidents in the Life of A Slave Girl (think I got that title messed up).

John Steinbeck's Eden or Grapes of Wrath show a lot of political discord in America during the Great Depression Era.

You can apply a lot of literary criticism to texts that explore themes of political unrest. Nearly all texts you could.

Quick Reply

Latest