The Student Room Group

French or philosophy A-level?

I've applied to study A-level English literature, English language, History, and French. (I'm predicted a B for my French GCSE.) I'm wondering whether to change to A-level philosophy instead, and if this is a good idea? In terms of difficulty, how well respected the subjects are, etc. (Also I think I want to study either English literature, or history at uni) Thank you :smile:
Original post by Rekishiya4
I've applied to study A-level English literature, English language, History, and French. (I'm predicted a B for my French GCSE.) I'm wondering whether to change to A-level philosophy instead, and if this is a good idea? In terms of difficulty, how well respected the subjects are, etc. (Also I think I want to study either English literature, or history at uni) Thank you :smile:

Philosophy is hard and often a lot of people misunderstand it. I would certainly tell you to get your hands on Plato's Republic or something. Even though that's more to do with Political Philosophy, it is the foundation of understanding Ancient Philosophy as a whole. You don't need to read the whole thing, but maybe you should read a few Books from the work and see if you like it. Although this isn't a definitive way of knowing how well you'll cope with A-level Philo, it will be a good indication whether you will find the subject interesting or not.

If French or Philosophy will be your 4th A-level (meaning it will be the most likely subject you wish to drop at A2), then it really doesn't matter what A-level you pick.

Any Foreign Language at A-level is a facilitating subject and is well respected by unis so your best bet if you're looking to apply to a RG/Top uni would be to stick with French.

But what it comes down to is whether you'll like what's on the courses. Have a look at both syllabi and see which one you prefer the most.

Quick Reply

Latest