Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    How do you become an investment banker ?

ReputationRep:
    That question is so vague

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    You apply for investment banking internships and convert them into full time positions.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    1. Get some leadership and relared work experience (insight days)
    2. Get good A-level grades (ABB+)
    3. Get into a good uni (target/semitarget)
    4. Get some more leadership and related work experience (societies, sports..)
    5. Apply for spring weeks (1st year of 3 year course, 2nd year of 4 year course etc.)
    6. Convert spring week to a summer internship the next year (if not then apply for summer internships)
    7. Convert summer internship to a full time offer
    8. (If you do not do step 6 then it will be hard to get a graduate job), so do a masters at preferably a target uni in a related course and apply for summer internships

Tips:
    Write a good CV, look online for advice
    Practice for the psychometric tests
    Learn good interview technique
    Be actively interested in the world of finance/banking - read around
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    (Original post by AdeptDz)
    5. Apply for spring weeks (1st year of 3 year course, 2nd year of 4 year course etc.)
    6. Convert spring week to a summer internship the next year (if not then apply for summer internships)
    8. (If you do not do step 6 then it will be hard to get a graduate job), so do a masters at a target uni in a related course and apply for associate roles i'm guessing

Tips:
    Most succinct answer I've seen, well done bro.

One thing to amend, you don't go for associate/summer associate positions as a non-MBA masters student. It's literally just reapply to summer internships again.

An MBA will ofc, require 3-5+ years of work experience before you're qualified for the associate role (and ofc to actually get into an MBA program in the first place).

Pro-tip, amend the above post and save it in your notes then just copy-paste everytime someone asks - because believe me, you will get tired of repeating yourself + link them to the sticky posts I wrote up in the IB forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    Most succinct answer I've seen, well done bro.

One thing to amend, you don't go for associate/summer associate positions as a non-MBA masters student. It's literally just reapply to summer internships again.

An MBA will ofc, require 3-5+ years of work experience before you're qualified for the associate role (and ofc to actually get into an MBA program in the first place).

Pro-tip, amend the above post and save it in your notes then just copy-paste everytime someone asks - because believe me, you will get tired of repeating yourself + link them to the sticky posts I wrote up in the IB forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Thanks,
    I didn't know you can apply to summer internships while doing a masters, so basically you get 2 shots at converting.
    And okay will do, thanks loool.

So it's correct now?

ReputationRep:
    8. (If you do not do step 6 then it will be hard to get a graduate job), so do a masters at a target uni in a related course and repeat step 5-7)

Tips:
    Couldnt be said any better
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Thanks,
    I didn't know you can apply to spring weeks and summer internships while doing a masters, so basically you get 2 shots at converting.
    And okay will do, thanks loool.

So it's correct now?
    You can only do a spring week if you have 2 years until you graduate (from the date you normally do SWs). So it would work for someone doing e.g. a 2 year masters with a 1 year placement wedged in between. But normal masters students would have to only go for a summer or grad role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    You can only do a spring week if you have 2 years until you graduate (from the date you normally do SWs). So it would work for someone doing e.g. a 2 year masters with a 1 year placement wedged in between. But normal masters students would have to only go for a summer or grad role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Ohh, i understand, i never knew how long masters were so i just guessed 3 years aswell.
    Thanks will edit

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.