Yin-yanggggg
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
How do you become an investment banker ?
Naomeyz_01
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
That question is so vague

Posted from TSR Mobile
Trapz99
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
You apply for investment banking internships and convert them into full time positions.
AdeptDz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
1. Get some leadership and relared work experience (insight days)
2. Get good A-level grades (ABB+)
3. Get into a good uni (target/semitarget)
4. Get some more leadership and related work experience (societies, sports..)
5. Apply for spring weeks (1st year of 3 year course, 2nd year of 4 year course etc.)
6. Convert spring week to a summer internship the next year (if not then apply for summer internships)
7. Convert summer internship to a full time offer
8. (If you do not do step 6 then it will be hard to get a graduate job), so do a masters at preferably a target uni in a related course and apply for summer internships

Tips:
Write a good CV, look online for advice
Practice for the psychometric tests
Learn good interview technique
Be actively interested in the world of finance/banking - read around
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by AdeptDz)
5. Apply for spring weeks (1st year of 3 year course, 2nd year of 4 year course etc.)
6. Convert spring week to a summer internship the next year (if not then apply for summer internships)
8. (If you do not do step 6 then it will be hard to get a graduate job), so do a masters at a target uni in a related course and apply for associate roles i'm guessing

Tips:
Most succinct answer I've seen, well done bro.

One thing to amend, you don't go for associate/summer associate positions as a non-MBA masters student. It's literally just reapply to summer internships again.

An MBA will ofc, require 3-5+ years of work experience before you're qualified for the associate role (and ofc to actually get into an MBA program in the first place).

Pro-tip, amend the above post and save it in your notes then just copy-paste everytime someone asks - because believe me, you will get tired of repeating yourself + link them to the sticky posts I wrote up in the IB forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdeptDz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
Most succinct answer I've seen, well done bro.

One thing to amend, you don't go for associate/summer associate positions as a non-MBA masters student. It's literally just reapply to summer internships again.

An MBA will ofc, require 3-5+ years of work experience before you're qualified for the associate role (and ofc to actually get into an MBA program in the first place).

Pro-tip, amend the above post and save it in your notes then just copy-paste everytime someone asks - because believe me, you will get tired of repeating yourself + link them to the sticky posts I wrote up in the IB forum.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Thanks,
I didn't know you can apply to summer internships while doing a masters, so basically you get 2 shots at converting.
And okay will do, thanks loool.

So it's correct now?
10Fatanda
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
8. (If you do not do step 6 then it will be hard to get a graduate job), so do a masters at a target uni in a related course and repeat step 5-7)

Tips:
Couldnt be said any better
username738914
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks,
I didn't know you can apply to spring weeks and summer internships while doing a masters, so basically you get 2 shots at converting.
And okay will do, thanks loool.

So it's correct now?
You can only do a spring week if you have 2 years until you graduate (from the date you normally do SWs). So it would work for someone doing e.g. a 2 year masters with a 1 year placement wedged in between. But normal masters students would have to only go for a summer or grad role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
AdeptDz
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Princepieman)
You can only do a spring week if you have 2 years until you graduate (from the date you normally do SWs). So it would work for someone doing e.g. a 2 year masters with a 1 year placement wedged in between. But normal masters students would have to only go for a summer or grad role.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ohh, i understand, i never knew how long masters were so i just guessed 3 years aswell.
Thanks will edit
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have the space and resources you need to succeed in home learning?

Yes I have everything I need (326)
55.63%
I don't have everything I need (260)
44.37%

Watched Threads