Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    A disaster of results meant that I was kicked out of my college. I was so shocked to find out on results day. My parents said do whatever the hell you want, which isn't helping because now I'm lost, it feels like all the doors are closed for me.

I want to get into Medicine and prove to myself that I can do it. I found out about Science BTEC but having looked further, all the Russell Group Unis don't accept BTECs for the course I want to study.

Due to Government Funding, It will be unlikely that I get to do the same A-levels again (Bio, Chem, Physics) Aghh!

Also, What universities accept BTECs with both hands (because I can get into Biomed science and apply for a course in Medicine like that but it is a very long route)

Any advice is much appreciated, Thanks for reading!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by runningcat)
    A disaster of results meant that I was kicked out of my college. I was so shocked to find out on results day. My parents said do whatever the hell you want, which isn't helping because now I'm lost, it feels like all the doors are closed for me.

I want to get into Medicine and prove to myself that I can do it. I found out about Science BTEC but having looked further, all the Russell Group Unis don't accept BTECs for the course I want to study.

Due to Government Funding, It will be unlikely that I get to do the same A-levels again (Bio, Chem, Physics) Aghh!

Also, What universities accept BTECs with both hands (because I can get into Biomed science and apply for a course in Medicine like that but it is a very long route)

Most Medicine courses don't look kindly at students who needed to resit their AS levels. And Medicine courses do not accept any BTECs - like none. So maybe you need to start thinking of alternative courses.

Can you not get into a different sixth form or college? I mean, what were the reasons you failed your A-levels? Maybe A-levels aren't for you (they're not intended for everyone).

Yeah BioMed, then Medicine is looking at 8 years at uni or even longer. But if that's the only way you can go in order to get onto it, then I would take it. But is it worth being in that much debt afterwards?

You need to think long and hard about what to do. Maybe do A-levels and a BTEC? Or 1 A-level and a BTEC?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Most Medicine courses don't look kindly at students who needed to resit their AS levels. And Medicine courses do not accept any BTECs - like none. So maybe you need to start thinking of alternative courses.

Can you not get into a different sixth form or college? I mean, what were the reasons you failed your A-levels? Maybe A-levels aren't for you (they're not intended for everyone).

I did Bio, Chem, Physics and I think it was the fact I underestimated how hard the papers would be,

Yeah BioMed, then Medicine is looking at 8 years at uni or even longer. But if that's the only way you can go in order to get onto it, then I would take it. But is it worth being in that much debt afterwards?

You need to think long and hard about what to do. Maybe do A-levels and a BTEC? Or 1 A-level and a BTEC?
    Ive seen some of the uni requirements and they accept BTEC level 3 advanced diplomas; which link to the BioMed route; and would take a very long time. I want to do My other A-levels again but this year, due to government funding apparently, you can no longer resit the subjects you fail in. which is unfortunate for some.

My initial thought was do the BTEC and an a level (chemistry) privately and the following year continue with the course and see if I can do another a-level (would this be wise)
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Ive seen some of the uni requirements and they accept BTEC level 3 advanced diplomas; which link to the BioMed route; and would take a very long time. I want to do My other A-levels again but this year, due to government funding apparently, you can no longer resit the subjects you fail in. which is unfortunate for some.

My initial thought was do the BTEC and an a level (chemistry) privately and the following year continue with the course and see if I can do another a-level (would this be wise)
    Yeah, BTECs are alright for BioMed, as long as you have at least one A-level in a science subject.

I didn't know about the government funding thing! Really sucks if that's true.

I wouldn't recommend doing an A-level in just one year. There's a lot of pressure for you to do study 2 years worth of work and it all depend on a whole one year study time.

I say do 2 A-levels and a BTEC at the same time, with opting for AS exams just to see how well you do. Then depending one the outcome; either drop one and continue with just one plus the BTEC or start off with one A-level and BTEC since you already have UCAS points from your first lot of AS results.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Yeah, BTECs are alright for BioMed, as long as you have at least one A-level in a science subject.

I didn't know about the government funding thing! Really sucks if that's true.

I wouldn't recommend doing an A-level in just one year. There's a lot of pressure for you to do study 2 years worth of work and it all depend on a whole one year study time.

I say do 2 A-levels and a BTEC at the same time, with opting for AS exams just to see how well you do. Then depending one the outcome; either drop one and continue with just one plus the BTEC or start off with one A-level and BTEC since you already have UCAS points from your first lot of AS results.
    Thank you! This helps a lot! I'll do more research into it too

ReputationRep:
    You failed year 13 which is 2 yr of a level and if you do btec extended it will be another 2 yrs example btec engineering. My question is would unis accept a student who did four yr studying a level /btec .

ReputationRep:

i dont think you have done you research properly. My uncle is a fully qualified doctor and has a 1st class degre in biochemistry and 1st class degree in medicine (MBBS).

So howd he get in?
    Well good question. He did Btec, got DMM, and teachers asked him what he wanted to become and replied a doctor. no one believed in him because it was impossible to get into med school with Btec. He did biochemistry at queen mary (queen mary dont accept btecs anymore but i think you going to have to do foundations, then undergraduate biochem and then medicine) and because he got a 1st class degree, the uni was impressed with his results and they asked him if he wanted to do medicine, and he grabbed for the opportunity because he was so conviced he wanted to be a doctor.

he also had alot of loans to pay off from the biochem degree (mainentence loan and the tuition fees) and since he was so talented and got 1st class degree, the uni paid off all his maintence loan from the previous course and the tuition fees. what a great success story he had. he deserves it, and literally proved EVERY single person from his course, EVERY TEACHER, and every person that didn't believe him. He musta felt great to prove everyone wrong.

EDIT: and the course is long but it isnt as long as you think. my uncle had to do an extra year compared to the medicine degree because he already covered most of the modules in biochemistry.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Light Venom)
    i dont think you have done you research properly. My uncle is a fully qualified doctor and has a 1st class degre in biochemistry and 1st class degree in medicine (MBBS).

So howd he get in?
    Well good question. He did Btec, got DMM, and teachers asked him what he wanted to become and replied a doctor. no one believed in him because it was impossible to get into med school with Btec. He did biochemistry at queen mary (queen mary dont accept btecs anymore but i think you going to have to do foundations, then undergraduate biochem and then medicine) and because he got a 1st class degree, the uni was impressed with his results and they asked him if he wanted to do medicine, and he grabbed for the opportunity because he was so conviced he wanted to be a doctor.

he also had alot of loans to pay off from the biochem degree (mainentence loan and the tuition fees) and since he was so talented and got 1st class degree, the uni paid off all his maintence loan from the previous course and the tuition fees. what a great success story he had. he deserves it, and literally proved EVERY single person from his course, EVERY TEACHER, and every person that didn't believe him. He musta felt great to prove everyone wrong.

EDIT: and the course is long but it isnt as long as you think. my uncle had to do an extra year compared to the medicine degree because he already covered most of the modules in biochemistry.
    I'm opting for that route, I think it would be good for me in the long run. Your uncle really is amazing. I hope to prove everyone wrong too

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.