WJEC VS AQA for A level English literature

Announcements Posted on
Four things that unis think matter more than league tables 08-12-2016

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I'm starting in September at one of two colleges, one offers the AQA spec and the other WJEC for English lit. I did AQA for GCSE and find that their A level course seems more interesting on the surface but I don't know much else about what either will really be like or what the benefits will be for each. If any of you are currently studying with these boards at AS or A level it would be really helpful to get your ideas on this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by T.Wilson)
    Hi,

I'm starting in September at one of two colleges, one offers the AQA spec and the other WJEC for English lit. I did AQA for GCSE and find that their A level course seems more interesting on the surface but I don't know much else about what either will really be like or what the benefits will be for each. If any of you are currently studying with these boards at AS or A level it would be really helpful to get your ideas on this.
    Which AQA spec; A or B first of all?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Empire Odyssey)
    Which AQA spec; A or B first of all?
    For AQA it's lit B

For WJEC it's either
    2171/3171/B720QS

ReputationRep:
    For AQA it's lit B

For WJEC it's either
    2171/3171/B720QS
    AQA B is typically harder because it focuses more on genre i.e Crime Writing or Aspects of Comedy, etc. which is a pretty tough thing to get to grips with at A-level. But AQA B has always been focused on genre and theory study.

WJEC looks as if it's more to do with canonical and author content. Which is fairly interesting but, you'd need to know quite a bit about the social and political context of the author's life as well as their texts and its surrounding publication.

I would probably pick AQA B because there's more skill involved and it's best if you wish to study English at uni. Otherwise go with WJEC if you want to study more about author and content.

ReputationRep:
    By 'canonical' you mean of the works of a particular author?

ReputationRep:
    And genres is something that does interest me and I like the list of texts a bit more for AQA but if i decide to do it it meas i need a private tutor for that one subject and have to take it externally outside of the school.

ReputationRep:
    I took WJEC English literature at Latymer after achieving full marks in AQA English lit at GCSE so I thought I would be fine. So when I went for enfrolment at Laymer, I realised that the list of texts or that exam board were very tedious , I honestly wanted to poke my eyeballs out. I returned back to my school after a week at Latymer (my school is in Highbury) and continued on with AQA english lit which was far more interesting. In terms of challenge I think oth exam boards are difficult- theres no escapig that. But I was far more inclined to study more for the AQA enlgish lit since it was much more interesting than WJEC.

ReputationRep:
    And genres is something that does interest me and I like the list of texts a bit more for AQA but if i decide to do it it meas i need a private tutor for that one subject and have to take it externally outside of the school.
    And take it from experience, doing an A Level subject outside of school is immensely stressful, especially for an essay based subject. After staying back at school I needed to take a bus to my tutor and study there for 3 hours after school which was so draining. During holidays, I had no free time and only spent my time at my tutor which was SO expensive (bare in mind it is a family friend). On top of that if you go to the school that I went to at enrolment day, you need to pay £50 for tutoring by your own tecaher. If youre rich then I would consider it, if not then just stick with AQA.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Josh413)
    I took WJEC English literature at Latymer after achieving full marks in AQA English lit at GCSE so I thought I would be fine. So when I went for enfrolment at Laymer, I realised that the list of texts or that exam board were very tedious , I honestly wanted to poke my eyeballs out. I returned back to my school after a week at Latymer (my school is in Highbury) and continued on with AQA english lit which was far more interesting. In terms of challenge I think oth exam boards are difficult- theres no escapig that. But I was far more inclined to study more for the AQA enlgish lit since it was much more interesting than WJEC.
    Edmonton or latymer upper in Hammersmith?

ReputationRep:
    It seems I will be doing it at the moment but I'm not that worried, many of the texts do seem interesting to me on both boards so i'm not really inclined to either. I doubt a change of exam board affects one's ability to study the subject that much.

ReputationRep:
    And take it from experience, doing an A Level subject outside of school is immensely stressful, especially for an essay based subject. After staying back at school I needed to take a bus to my tutor and study there for 3 hours after school which was so draining. During holidays, I had no free time and only spent my time at my tutor which was SO expensive (bare in mind it is a family friend). On top of that if you go to the school that I went to at enrolment day, you need to pay £50 for tutoring by your own tecaher. If youre rich then I would consider it, if not then just stick with AQA.
    Did you do this for A level? and that really depends on how you arrange things I think.

ReputationRep:
    But why were they tedious? and what was the other school?

ReputationRep:
    It seems I will be doing it at the moment but I'm not that worried, many of the texts do seem interesting to me on both boards so i'm not really inclined to either. I doubt a change of exam board affects one's ability to study the subject that much.
    I took AQA Literature at Highbury Grove school 3 years ago but i did try WJEC exam board in this grammar school in Edmonton (Latymer). I stayed at the school for about a month? Cant remember properly. But I returned back to my school since it contained more exhilarating texts. In Latymer I studied more old, mundane and dull texts. I was so excited to move to Latymer since I could finally have a change from my secondary school.But when i resturned back to my school fro sicth form it was so different - better. Since I was already familrar with the exam board it was slightly more easier and I came out with an A* at lit and im doing it at uni. But at Latymer I REALLY DID STRUGGLE WITH WJEC so I do not recommend that exam board at all, plus there were less exam resuorces online for it but for AQA I had numerous pdf files, youtubers and websites to aid me into success . i remember loads of people leaving laymer for that exact reason. So choose wisely

ReputationRep:
    which year did you go to Latymer?

Write a reply… Reply
Submit reply

Register

Thanks for posting! You just need to create an account in order to submit the post
  1. this can't be left blank
    that username has been taken, please choose another Forgotten your password?
  2. this can't be left blank
    this email is already registered. Forgotten your password?
  3. this can't be left blank

6 characters or longer with both numbers and letters is safer

4. this can't be left empty
    your full birthday is required
  1. Oops, you need to agree to our Ts&Cs to register
  2. Slide to join now Processing…

Updated: August 28, 2016
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Poll
Do you think you'll achieve your predicted A Level grades?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.