Regression help! Watch

ZaraL09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
I'm completely new to this subject, and pretty **** at econometrics. As part of an exchange sem, I have been assigned a project on growth paradigms in the US and Denmark. What variables would you consider in a regression analysis?
Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
inhuman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
That is a wholly vague question you have posed. And what the requirements are matters too.

But in general you might want to look at things like education, female labor participation, average hours worked / holidays (US are known for having less holidays), technology / technological advancement, available capital stock, tax rates could be one if you compare these two countries in particular as well as inequality/social mobility (I think it was the economist that once phrased if you want the american dream go to denmark, because US has very low social mobility whereas denmark has very high).

But yea, it's a bit vague what you should do and what the framework is.
ZaraL09
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by inhuman)
That is a wholly vague question you have posed. And what the requirements are matters too.

But in general you might want to look at things like education, female labor participation, average hours worked / holidays (US are known for having less holidays), technology / technological advancement, available capital stock, tax rates could be one if you compare these two countries in particular as well as inequality/social mobility (I think it was the economist that once phrased if you want the american dream go to denmark, because US has very low social mobility whereas denmark has very high).

But yea, it's a bit vague what you should do and what the framework is.
Hey! thanks so much for your reply. I'll be focusing on policy implications on growth (shift to neolib). If that makes it less vague? Mainly struggling with formulating this in terms of working with variables.
inhuman
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by ZaraL09)
Hey! thanks so much for your reply. I'll be focusing on policy implications on growth (shift to neolib). If that makes it less vague? Mainly struggling with formulating this in terms of working with variables.
Ok policy implications on growth. Not really my forte.

The first thing then that you need to do is talk to someone at the uni, a prof, a phd student, whoever is leading this class/project.

A regression is useless if you have no story to support it. If you are writing a paper, you will need one section on identification. That means what variables and why, say what is special about them, e.g. are they serially correlated or if not why not, etc. you will need to properly justify your variables and regression model chosen.

So right now you are not so much at the step where you need "regression help" but rather where you need theoretical help. The regression help will be once you have your variables and your story, what model fits best.

I would make a new thread not about regression but titling it "policy implications on growth (shift to neolib)".
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Birkbeck, University of London
    Undergraduate Open Day - Startford Undergraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • University of Wolverhampton
    Postgraduate Open Evening Postgraduate
    Thu, 21 Mar '19
  • Edge Hill University
    Undergraduate and Postgraduate - Campus Tour Undergraduate
    Fri, 22 Mar '19

Where do you need more help?

Which Uni should I go to? (70)
15.95%
How successful will I become if I take my planned subjects? (44)
10.02%
How happy will I be if I take this career? (82)
18.68%
How do I achieve my dream Uni placement? (61)
13.9%
What should I study to achieve my dream career? (47)
10.71%
How can I be the best version of myself? (135)
30.75%

Watched Threads