Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    So, I have heard some scary stories about car insurance in the UK. I am going in for my first year of uni in Septmeber and I don't intend to get a car but I wanted to ask how the pricing of it works. It depends on age and the car type of corpse but just how much does it vary? For example, how much would it cost to insure a car with a 4.0 V8 on a 19-20 year old?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 130398)
    So, I have heard some scary stories about car insurance in the UK. I am going in for my first year of uni in Septmeber and I don't intend to get a car but I wanted to ask how the pricing of it works. It depends on age and the car type of corpse but just how much does it vary? For example, how much would it cost to insure a car with a 4.0 V8 on a 19-20 year old?
    Hey, I am not an expert or have a car insurance but I will try and give some information with the knowledge I have when it comes to car insurances. Sorry if any of the information is wrong.
    • The main and most important thing that I can say is that you need to make sure that you get a car insurance. Our law enforcement agencies really hit hard when it comes to this topic. There is no warnings or a nice reminder. If find to drive without a car insurance you will get a ticket, vehicle impound and points on your license. On top of that ticket you have the fees that you will have to pay if you want your car bad. They don't joke around here
    • I would also suggest using a website where you can compare different insurance companies and see what the best deal would be. There are very useful.
    • When it comes to what factors are taken about setting the price then there are many. Like you said you have, the type of car, your experience(in years I believe), also any old road traffic incidents that you may have and any traffic violations. Now, I have also heard that it can depend on the area which you put your address as. I am not 100% sure but I have heard it before.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    4.0 V8 on a 19-20 year old?
    Expensive.

You havent given us any information to make an estimate, do you have any years NCD? How long have you held your license? Any points or claims? Where do you keep the car? What car is it?

With the greatest of respect, we are not insurance underwriters. Use a comparison site.

All I can tell you is thats gonna cost you a metric ***ton.

ReputationRep:
    You will possibly pay extra if you are an overseas driver.
    Be aware that you also can only drive on a foreign licence for a limited time

I am making assumptions as you put "uk" in the topic and talk about a v8 which will be astronomical for a young driver.

Have you figured where it will be parked? Many universities don't allow students to have cars

ReputationRep:
    I am not planning to buy such a car. I was curious about the insurance rates and just how bad it is. Give the fact that I will study in London I can pretty much exclude a car for the time I am there regardless of the price if insurance.

ReputationRep:
    For example, how much would it cost to insure a car with a 4.0 V8 on a 19-20 year old?
    between 2.5-3.5 on my landy v8. Not that you'd want one in London given it's horrendous mpg. Not that I care about it...

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: August 30, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.