The Student Room Group

Help plz

I received BCDE in psychology, maths, chemistry and biology (in that order).
I had been achieving A's and B's throughout the year for bio and now that I have an E in the AS idk what to do anymore because i wanted to go into some sort of medical field. I don't think my school will predict me good grades now and would most likely want me to drop bio but I just can't see myself not doing bio as without that I really have no other course that would not require A2 biology.

WHAT DO I DO???
-redo yr 12
-drop maths and do bio chem and psy and try achieve 3 A's next year
-drop bio and try find a medical course that wouldn't require it
-CRY
(edited 7 years ago)
I suggest to retake the year. It's better, 1 more year to fix those grades and do what you want to do.
Reply 2
Original post by Kawaii289
I suggest to retake the year. It's better, 1 more year to fix those grades and do what you want to do.

Yeah I see what you mean, it may be long but I guess it would be worth it in the end!
Thanks!
Original post by dinzyx
I had been achieving A's and B's throughout the year for bio and now that I have an E in the AS idk what to do anymore because i wanted to go into some sort of medical field. I don't think my school will predict me good grades now and would most likely want me to drop bio but I just can't see myself not doing bio as without that I really have no other course that would not require A2 biology.

WHAT DO I DO???
-redo yr 12
-CRY

Many health related courses such as pharmacy, optometry & dentistry do not require biology but require chemistry. Most of these courses at many Unis want two sciences (maths is classified as one). Therefore personally I would drop biology and carry on with chemistry and maths
Reply 4
Original post by Fatimabibi_
Many health related courses such as pharmacy, optometry & dentistry do not require biology but require chemistry. Most of these courses at many Unis want two sciences (maths is classified as one). Therefore personally I would drop biology and carry on with chemistry and maths

Yeah I was considering pharmacy! I see what you mean, I think that could be easier than retaking the year and I think I'd have a higher chance to get 3 A's. Thank you! Do you think any uni would still consider me if my predicted grades weren't that high though?
Original post by dinzyx
Yeah I was considering pharmacy! I see what you mean, I think that could be easier than retaking the year and I think I'd have a higher chance to get 3 A's. Thank you! Do you think any uni would still consider me if my predicted grades weren't that high though?

You cna either go back and retake or go forward and go into an easier field of get 3A's and only apply when you have your results, this taking a gap year.
Original post by dinzyx

WHAT DO I DO???
-redo yr 12
-CRY

Oooo HI5! I did those AS levels! Okay take a step back and a big deep breathe. Nothing is irredeemable, you can still fix this, plenty have gotten worse than you and have redeemed themselves and gotten into great unis.
If you're looking to apply to Russell group Unis, some of them don't really like you retaking A2 but I don't think any of them care about AS retakes. So an option for you could be to retake the entire AS year, with a fresh perspective and some maturity. Reflect back, what do you think you did wrong to get the grades that you did?
If you don't want to lose a year, you can drop the subject you got the highest grade in then the grades of the other 3 won't count I don't think as with the new system it's all linear.
Talk to your 6th form teachers as well and get the advice of several teachers but do what you think will be best for you xx
Reply 7
Original post by Pinkberry_y
Oooo HI5! I did those AS levels! Okay take a step back and a big deep breathe. Nothing is irredeemable, you can still fix this, plenty have gotten worse than you and have redeemed themselves and gotten into great unis.
If you're looking to apply to Russell group Unis, some of them don't really like you retaking A2 but I don't think any of them care about AS retakes. So an option for you could be to retake the entire AS year, with a fresh perspective and some maturity. Reflect back, what do you think you did wrong to get the grades that you did?
If you don't want to lose a year, you can drop the subject you got the highest grade in then the grades of the other 3 won't count I don't think as with the new system it's all linear.
Talk to your 6th form teachers as well and get the advice of several teachers but do what you think will be best for you xx

Hey!! Thank you so much, that's great advice, thankfully bio chem and psychology this year are all linear for me and therefore 'don't count' but its just my predicted grades that are gonna take a big hit and also my confidence to achieve good grades next year! But yeah I am definitely gonna talk to my 6th form teachers and see what they think I should do as well!
Thank you xx
Reply 8
Original post by 999tigger
You cna either go back and retake or go forward and go into an easier field of get 3A's and only apply when you have your results, this taking a gap year.

Oh yeah I could take a gap year and reapply when I hopefully get 3A's! Thanks!
Original post by dinzyx
Oh yeah I could take a gap year and reapply when I hopefully get 3A's! Thanks!

If you had the 3A's then ylou could have choice of uni plys you could then always get a job and earn money, knowing your future was assured.
if you're planning on applying for pharmacy I have come across people who got low grades and weren't predicted that much of high grades but still got offers from good universities

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 11
If you had the 3A's then ylou could have choice of uni plys you could then always get a job and earn money, knowing your future was assured.

Yeah tbh that would be my safest bet I think!! I just have to work my butt off and make sure i do get 3A's and no where near the grades I got this year!
Original post by dinzyx
Yeah tbh that would be my safest bet I think!! I just have to work my butt off and make sure i do get 3A's and no where near the grades I got this year!

You can also use the time to figure out what course and where you wish to do it.
Reply 13
You can also use the time to figure out what course and where you wish to do it.

Yeah exactly! I feel a bit too rushed now and I think the year will help me sort a lot of things out in my own time!

Thank you so much!!xx
Reply 14
Original post by bubblegumcat
if you're planning on applying for pharmacy I have come across people who got low grades and weren't predicted that much of high grades but still got offers from good universities

Posted from TSR Mobile

Really?? Do you know which unis?? That gives me some hope then! Thanks!!
Original post by dinzyx

Many Unis want AAB with an A in chemistry. However there are some Unis with lower entry requirements (ABB). So have a look around
Reply 16
Original post by Fatimabibi_
Many Unis want AAB with an A in chemistry. However there are some Unis with lower entry requirements (ABB). So have a look around

Yeah that's true! Thank you, will do!
Original post by dinzyx
Really?? Do you know which unis?? That gives me some hope then! Thanks!!

I think someone I know got predicted ABC/BBC (can't remember exactly) and she got into Manchester, Kings college, reading...all good unis however she said she knew someone at kings who helped her get an offer. Ssomeone else I know got into Cardiff after applying through UCAS extra...just do well in the interview and I think you should be fine , don't rely too much on this info though, work hard and get those grades up and you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 18
Original post by bubblegumcat
I think someone I know got predicted ABC/BBC (can't remember exactly) and she got into Manchester, Kings college, reading...all good unis however she said she knew someone at kings who helped her get an offer. Ssomeone else I know got into Cardiff after applying through UCAS extra...just do well in the interview and I think you should be fine , don't rely too much on this info though, work hard and get those grades up and you should be fine :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ahhh that gives me a lot of hope then! Thank you so much :smile: xx

Quick Reply

Latest