Turn on thread page Beta

Deciding watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Do you look at subject league tables or university league tables (or both) to determine which course your gonna do at uni?

ReputationRep:
    Use them as a guide but don't base your decision entirely upon them. You need to consider a range of other factors like location, distance from home, cost of living etc.

ReputationRep:
    That's true.

ReputationRep:
    I did at first, but only as a very rough guide...I figured really bad unis won't get top 20-30 and vice-versa.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't but thats because I always had an idea of where I def wanted to go. I might have looked at it if I had more than six uni's to choose from, just to see what ones were better. What is it you want to do anyway?

Before you use any of the tables you should research the data on which they are based and how to actually use the tables. It is pointless looking at the rankings if you do not understand how they have been put together and the flaws present in each of the tables.

ReputationRep:
    I didn't look at league tables before I applied.. just ordered a whole load of prospectuses and went on those really.

ReputationRep:
    I choose my universites then used the league table to help narrow it down. So I worked backwards. However I just used general public opinion, tutors advice, and my own experience. I knew more sucessful people from my university I choose than the other ones so that was a big influence. I also had to choose a local university which narrowed the choice down to Salford, MMU and Bolton.:mad:

ReputationRep:
    Not at all. I applied to Essex because it's near my house - not because it's No.17 (or whatever) in the league table. If Peckham Polytecnic was the nearest, I'd have gone there.

(Original post by Pencil)
    If Beckham Polytecnic was the nearest, I'd have gone there.
    :eek:

ReputationRep:
    i chose mine cos the ppl were so lovely to me all the time and cos its by the sea!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pencil)
    Not at all. I applied to Essex because it's near my house - not because it's No.17 (or whatever) in the league table. If Peckham Polytecnic was the nearest, I'd have gone there.
    I believe Peckham Polytetnic still exists.

Please nobody apply here!! Please!

http://www.cynical*******s.com/ubs/

ReputationRep:
    I will consider uni's ranking for I believe there are some reasons for those tables to exist. However, your final decision should be based on your own situation.

ReputationRep:
    Since I was applying for Law, I had to make sure that I had to go to a respectable (even red brick) university. I then narrowed the choices down to the universities I actually liked etc. took into consideration how far I would have to travel and then made my decision.
    No point basing your uni's purely off the league tables because they change all the time. e.g. Manchester was in The Times top ten for Law last year - but now it isn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by amazingtrade)
    I believe Peckham Polytetnic still exists.

Please nobody apply here!! Please!

http://www.cynical*******s.com/ubs/
    No one would go to that uni, I think that uni is fake obviously.

ReputationRep:
    how i decided on my uni:

1. decided on the course and saw what unis did it (yes oxbridge are all very nice, but they don't do that many courses, mainly traditional ones)
    2. ordered loads of prospectuses from the unis that did my course that i'd heard of
    3. went to open days of the ones i liked the look of from the prospectus
    4. applied to the ones i liked after speaking to leacturers, looking round uni, looking at how they teach the course (do you want huge lectures or a more tutorial-based system?)
    5. chose the one i liked the course and place best (you do have to like the place if you live there for 3/4 years- i had an offer from a top uni that i would have died of boredom at)
    i never looked at league tables- the closest i got was by only ordering prosectuses from unis i considered 'respectable'

lou xxx

ReputationRep:
    1. Looked at different types of courses as there was a particular course structure that I was looking for.
    2. used UCAS course search to find the unis which offered that particular type of course.
    3. Ordered the prospectuses and had a look.

That was about it. I knew I was looking for a bigish and respected uni though, and I think they were all top 20ish for my subject.

In the end (after I'd already applied and had my offers) I decided after visiting four of them that I'd prefer a city University to a campus, so chose Cambridge and Durham as my first and insurance choices (Warwick put me off because the campus is amazing but miles away from anywhere, and you can only live there in first year)

Location really wasn't much of a factor for me, I applied all over the country, my only preference was not in London (which still only really eliminated Imperial)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by trev1122)
    No one would go to that uni, I think that uni is fake obviously.
    I know I was being sarcastic.

(Original post by amazingtrade)
    I know I was being sarcastic.
    What? :eek:

I ve already asked the admissions officer to release me from my uncondiotional offer cuz I want to apply there when clearing starts

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by wizard)
    What? :eek:

I ve already asked the admissions officer to release me from my uncondiotional offer cuz I want to apply there when clearing starts
    You should come...I'm studying there at the moment, it's great! Can you believe it - I got voted president of the slackers society?!

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 18, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.