Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Need help budgeting for uni? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody!

I noticed a lot of people on here tend to ask for help about budgeting for university... so I thought I'd help y'all out!

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that I created: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I've included instructions on how to use it, but you will only be able to edit the spreadsheet by following these instructions:

Click File and then 'make a copy' - then you will be able to edit your own sheet

I decided to do this incase people decided to troll or anything, but I might make this public in the future!

So please tell me what you think of it - constructive criticism/improvements would be helpful I believe you can export it to Excel if easier, as it was originally created there so that's why there may be some mistakes

ReputationRep:
    Good idea I did my budgeting differently though

Loan

£10702

Leaves

/38 weeks

143.73 per week

-7 phone
    -20 travel
    -35 food

Leaves

£81.73 a week

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)

Loan

£10702

Leaves

/38 weeks

143.73 per week

-7 phone
    -20 travel
    -35 food

Leaves

£81.73 a week
    Ahh that's a good way of doing it! This is a thread for everyone to share their ideas and spreadsheets as well (forgot to add that ) so if you ever want to upload anything then feel free! All about helping you everyone

ReputationRep:
    The way I would budget is similar to yours.

I have a question, if I got a part time job during uni will it affect how much maintenance loan I get?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 1secondsofvamps)
    The way I would budget is similar to yours.

I have a question, if I got a part time job during uni will it affect how much maintenance loan I get?
    I wouldn't quote me on this but I believe that it wouldn't affect it at all as it's based on your parents income? Hopefully one of the uni guys can confirm!
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PugDevil)
    I wouldn't quote me on this but I believe that it wouldn't affect it at all as it's based on your parents income? Hopefully one of the uni guys can confirm!
    You re right
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    PugDevil - does the income section at the top include the Overdraft?? I'd be weary including that for people given that it's got to be paid back at some point, and that's not taken into account (or is it?)...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mobbsy91)
    PugDevil - does the income section at the top include the Overdraft?? I'd be weary including that for people given that it's got to be paid back at some point, and that's not taken into account (or is it?)...
    Ah that's a good point... not sure why I kept that in there thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense! I'll edit it out right away, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

Edit: All done
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's a good point... not sure why I kept that in there as thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense! I'll edit it out right away, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

No worries - awesome!
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Ah that's a good point... not sure why I kept that in there thinking about it, it doesn't make much sense! I'll edit it out right away, thanks for bringing that to my attention!

You any good with VBA btw??

ReputationRep:
    You any good with VBA btw??
    Considering I had to look up what VBA meant, I would have to say no unfortunately :lol: What were you looking for?
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Considering I had to look up what VBA meant, I would have to say no unfortunately :lol: What were you looking for?
    Ahh haha, was going to say you could make a really neat little macro for recording expenses etc...

ReputationRep:
    Ahh haha, was going to say you could make a really neat little macro for recording expenses etc...
    If I was here for longer then I would attempt that believe me I did ICT at AS level so I remember some bits and bobs
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    If I was here for longer then I would attempt that believe me I did ICT at AS level so I remember some bits and bobs
    Haha you should
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Work has begun on a macro for it
    (More for fun than anything though )

ReputationRep:
    Work has begun on a macro for it
    (More for fun than anything though )
    Haha brilliant! If you're feeling nice, make sure to post it in here if you get around to finishing (and tag me in if you could )
    • Very Important Poster
    • Study Helper
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Haha brilliant! If you're feeling nice, make sure to post it in here if you get around to finishing (and tag me in if you could )
    Will do! Not sure how good it'll be, but I'll post it and you can have a play around a bit

ReputationRep:
    Hello everybody!

I noticed a lot of people on here tend to ask for help about budgeting for university... so I thought I'd help y'all out!

Here is a link to a spreadsheet that I created: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...it?usp=sharing

I've included instructions on how to use it, but you will only be able to edit the spreadsheet by following these instructions:

Click File and then 'make a copy' - then you will be able to edit your own sheet

I decided to do this incase people decided to troll or anything, but I might make this public in the future!

So please tell me what you think of it - constructive criticism/improvements would be helpful I believe you can export it to Excel if easier, as it was originally created there so that's why there may be some mistakes
    This is great I have an app-based bank account that does something similar though and it helps so much when keeping to a budget on a daily basis.
    It pops up on your phone instantly when you spend so you can see how much you've spent at the end of each day, it lets you categorise your spending (shopping, travel, eating out, etc), add a note or receipt to each payment, and there's a budget-setting feature they're releasing before term starts again. You sign up using your email address only, then the card gets posted to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by niteninja1)

Loan

£10702

Leaves

/38 weeks

143.73 per week

-7 phone
    -20 travel
    -35 food

Leaves

£81.73 a week
    That wouldn't work since everything is paid in instalments.
    For example, my initial accommodation payment is double my other two payments and my students finance is pretty much in three equal instalments.

This leaves me with a lot less in the first three months than the rest of the year.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mliela)
    That wouldn't work since everything is paid in instalments.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I have enough savings to balance it out

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.