Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Looking to buy a new phone. I like the Samsung S7, but I don't know how long it will take for my parents to buy me that. If I choose a cheap phone instead, I'll get it sooner so that's what I may go for. By cheap I mean about £200.

Suggestions?

ReputationRep:
    Moto G from Motorolla is pretty reliable and an okay phone for cheap, I had it as a temporary one when I broke my previous phone, still works now and I use it whenever I go on holiday/trips.

Roughly £120 - £140 and uses a similar Android skin to Samsung.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meridian0)
    Looking to buy a new phone. I like the Samsung S7, but I don't know how long it will take for my parents to buy me that. If I choose a cheap phone instead, I'll get it sooner so that's what I may go for. By cheap I mean about £200.

Suggestions?
    I'd suggest the Samsung j5 as it a decent phone for £250-300 (but look for a deal as you might get better for cash outright)
    I haven't got one but my brother does
    Spoiler:
    Show
    the s7 is a great phone i have one that i'll sell soon one my note7 arrives but i'll kep my 6s+ as i don't like the look of the iphone 7

ReputationRep:
    HTCs have a mixed review audience, but they're alright for everyday use I suppose and are more or less affordable. Personally, you can never go wrong with an iPhone, so you might want to look at buying a second hand 5/5s, perhaps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meridian0)

Suggestions?
    Look at oneplus
    • TSR Support Team
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    The new Moto G4 is great. It doesn't seem to be available on contracts yet but you can get it from Amazon for around £150 and according to reviews it's probably the best smartphone you can get for the price. I'm happy with it, it's got a huge, high quality screen and it's very responsive, feels like it's worth a lot more than £150.

ReputationRep:
    Some of the no-name ones on HotUKDeals are excellent value for that sort of money, easily have the same specs as the flagship phones.

Moto G is a solid choice too but beware there are many different versions of it.

ReputationRep:
    My Brother has an umi touch and so far I think it looks pretty good like I heard it has all the specs of an iPhone 6 without the price (it's like £130)
    but my friend recommends the Wiley Fox Swift (something like that) because I am Instagram obsessed and the version for this phone is apparently very good... Just reread your thing and you're looking for £200 phone... oh my, as a dirt poor student I consider that very expensive XD

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    The new Moto G4 is great. It doesn't seem to be available on contracts yet but you can get it from Amazon for around £150 and according to reviews it's probably the best smartphone you can get for the price. I'm happy with it, it's got a huge, high quality screen and it's very responsive, feels like it's worth a lot more than £150.
    http://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-mont...+g4?deal=31489

You can get the Moto G4 on a contract from Tesco Mobile for £12 a month if you pay £60 upfront.

ReputationRep:
    If you can afford this is better than s7

https://oneplus.net/uk/3
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dom2375)
    http://shop.tescomobile.com/pay-mont...+g4?deal=31489

You can get the Moto G4 on a contract from Tesco Mobile for £12 a month if you pay £60 upfront.
    Oh, that must be pretty new, pretty sure that wasn't around a month ago. I think the best value deal right now is sim-only with iD and buying the unlocked smartphone from Amazon though.

ReputationRep:
    I ordered a Moto G (3rd Gen) the other day for £15.50 a month on iD network (24 months contract).
    300 minutes. 5000 texts. 1 GB data.

Havent received the phone yet.
    They also asked me if I wanted Geeksquad mobile insurance on top of it which is £40 for the whole year.
    Im thinking of getting the £40 insurance too because if I lose my phone, Im in trouble.

Does anyone else here get their mobile phones insured when they get a contract phone??? How much does your mobile insurance cost?

Any help Plagioclase?
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Naveed-7)
    I ordered a Moto G (3rd Gen) the other day for £15.50 a month on iD network (24 months contract).
    300 minutes. 5000 texts. 1 GB data.

Havent received the phone yet.
    They also asked me if I wanted Geeksquad mobile insurance on top of it which is £40 for the whole year.
    Im thinking of getting the £40 insurance too because if I lose my phone, Im in trouble.

Does anyone else here get their mobile phones insured when they get a contract phone??? How much does your mobile insurance cost?

Any help Plagioclase?
    I didn't actually get the phone from Carphone Warehouse/iD (did Sim-only and got the phone separately) but no I didn't get mobile insurance. Personally I feel like £40/year sounds like quite a lot, over two years you'll have paid half the value of the phone. I guess it depends on whether you're willing to take the risk or not. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Plagioclase)
    I didn't actually get the phone from Carphone Warehouse/iD (did Sim-only and got the phone separately) but no I didn't get mobile insurance. Personally I feel like £40/year sounds like quite a lot, over two years you'll have paid half the value of the phone. I guess it depends on whether you're willing to take the risk or not. Sorry that I couldn't be more helpful
    Ok thanks for the advice.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jamesthehustler)
    I'd suggest the Samsung j5 as it a decent phone for £250-300 (but look for a deal as you might get better for cash outright)
    The A3 or A5 is the cheap Samsung I'd go for, pref 2gb ram and at least 16gb with sd card
    The moto G 3rd gen 16gb might be available cheap that would be a good option.

ReputationRep:
    Sony Xperia C is a pretty decent smartphone with an awesome quality camera, has 5MP front-facing camera a great option for selfie lovers. You can check here for reliable phones, http://mysocialimage.co.uk/ .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.