Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Okay so what if something really big happens during your gcse exams? Like someone close to you dies, or maybe you are battlimg depression, you've been ill, or things are really difficult at home?
    Say you're an A* student, but then your results come and you've got Bs and Cs in the exams because of those circumstances. Is there anything can be done?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hannahly)
    Okay so what if something really big happens during your gcse exams? Like someone close to you dies, or maybe you are battlimg depression, you've been ill, or things are really difficult at home?
    Say you're an A* student, but then your results come and you've got Bs and Cs in the exams because of those circumstances. Is there anything can be done?
    Um? What are you trying to ask? Whatever you get is whatever you get. If you're unhappy with your results, then you'll have to retake the subject. Not like an examiner is going to give you an A just because you're going through hard times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Vyres)
    Um? What are you trying to ask? Whatever you get is whatever you get. If you're unhappy with your results, then you'll have to retake the subject. Not like an examiner is going to give you an A just because you're going through hard times.
    well obviously not, but if you can prove what you have been getting through the courses, and there is evidence to suggest that there is a reason why you did badly, is there no special consideration or anything?

ReputationRep:
    well obviously not, but if you can prove what you have been getting through the courses, and there is evidence to suggest that there is a reason why you did badly, is there no special consideration or anything?
    Well what exact outcome do you want from this special consideration?

ReputationRep:
    If you had these circumstances at the time, why didn't you notify your teachers? It might be too late now to have anything done about them. If these circumstances were deemed legitimate, you would have had a grade enhancement, but I'm not sure if it's too late or not.
    • Community Assistant
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    More often than not, the exam officer at your school should be aware of it before your exams are sent off, so that an ECF can be filled out. This might not actually change your grade though.

ReputationRep:
    In the most extreme situations, your school can apply for you to have "special consideration" in which you could be allowed to work alone in an isolated area away from the other students, or they could give you extra minutes. With regards to marking, I don't think they change that dependent on how hard your life is going

ReputationRep:
    That would count as an extenuating circumstance, and for example if you were going to apply to university then it would be included on your application as basically an explanation as to why your grades don't reflect your true ability

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    If you had these circumstances at the time, why didn't you notify your teachers? It might be too late now to have anything done about them. If these circumstances were deemed legitimate, you would have had a grade enhancement, but I'm not sure if it's too late or not.
    It's an incredibly difficult thing for me to talk about, although my year head did know, but I never thought about the effect on my grades until after

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jordanshelley97)
    That would count as an extenuating circumstance, and for example if you were going to apply to university then it would be included on your application as basically an explanation as to why your grades don't reflect your true ability
    Okay thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's an incredibly difficult thing for me to talk about, although my year head did know, but I never thought about the effect on my grades until after
    Obtain a Doctor's letter as soon as possible and try and get in contact with your head of year and exams officer. This'll let you get in a request into the relevant exam boards as soon as possible (assuming it's not too late).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    Obtain a Doctor's letter as soon as possible and try and get in contact with your head of year and exams officer. This'll let you get in a request into the relevant exam boards as soon as possible (assuming it's not too late).
    Okay thanks.

ReputationRep:
    You should have explained the the exams officer and/or your HOY during/before exams so they could apply for special consideration for you however for uni applications it could count as extenuating circumstances.

At my school if you have extenuating circumstances whoever does your uni reference explains the circumstances in the reference apparently. I think some others explain it in their personal statement. It would be worth talking to careers/uni advice at your 6th form or college.

ReputationRep:
    You can get special consideration- on the AQA website somewhere it tells you the exact % bonus you get for certain circumstances e.g. death of an immediate or distant family member, death of a pet, even hayfever was 1% bonus if I remember (however I don't know how they would prove this). I'm not sure if it would be possible after you got your results, though- as many people who got below expectations would try this.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Are unpaid trial work shifts fair?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.