Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Il try to keep this short.

I started a job as a support worker in a house for 5 residents (supported living) and have tried my best to make a good start with the 6 staff members. when one to one most staff seem ok with me but today we had our first team meeting. i did everything right but as i went to leave afterwards, I said "bye everyone" quite loudly and had no response so i said "see you later" and again no one even looked at me.

the only thing i can think that i did wrong was to report something that was concerning me to a manager before talking to staff first. I know this was a bad move but is it really enough to warrant being blanked by everyone. As i said when 1 to 1 with staff things seem fine. and as communicating my concerns may only make things worse I dont know what to do. I feel so low about it.

Advice please

ReputationRep:
    I can understand you may feel uncomfortable but it depends.

A) How long have you worked there?
    B) Full-time or Part-time?

Answer to A if not worked there long: Give it some time and see if people turn around and start to change their opinions on you.
    Answer to A if worked there a while: Stick it.
    Answer to B if Full-time: If brought up with your manager and nothing changes, stick it.
    Answer to B if Part-time and still in education: Just leave and find another job.
    Answer to B if Part-time and not in education: If brought up with your manager and nothing changes, stick it.

Probably terrible advice, but this is what I'd do. I get paid £6.00 per hour and work at Bella Italia, but obviously it differs based on your wage I guess.

ReputationRep:
    Ive worked here for 1 month.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ConfusedSoul91)
    Il try to keep this short.

I started a job as a support worker in a house for 5 residents (supported living) and have tried my best to make a good start with the 6 staff members. when one to one most staff seem ok with me but today we had our first team meeting. i did everything right but as i went to leave afterwards, I said "bye everyone" quite loudly and had no response so i said "see you later" and again no one even looked at me.

the only thing i can think that i did wrong was to report something that was concerning me to a manager before talking to staff first. I know this was a bad move but is it really enough to warrant being blanked by everyone. As i said when 1 to 1 with staff things seem fine. and as communicating my concerns may only make things worse I dont know what to do. I feel so low about it.

Advice please
    When working in a position with a safeguarding responsibility, you should always follow the procedure for safeguarding and report any concerns to the relevant person. If that means reporting a concern, whether it seems relevant to safeguarding or not, to the manager first, then that's how it has to be. You shouldn't feel bad about that and other staff members should understand that procedures have to be followed.

I would try not to worry too much about it now and just get on with the job. Hopefully it was a mistake, they were having a bad day or one of them was just a bit annoyed to start with, and the others felt awkward. In a few days it will hopefully be back to normal - just work and be friendly as you were before. If it continues longer term then you can address it, with the manager or with them directly depending on what they do.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Quick links:

Unanswered Health and Emergency services Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.