Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I know all cambridge colleges are extremely hard to get into but out of peterhouse and downing where do u think i have the best chance of getting in to study economics?

ReputationRep:
    peterhouse = tiny, so harder to get in. But don't apply according to "how hard it is to get in"...apply to the one you like most. You might wanna look at cambridge website, under college statistics for general applications to acceptance ratios, if you're that type of person.

ReputationRep:
    It varies every year. Just pick a college that feels right and you can imagine yourself living. If it's too full and you're good enough for Cam, they'll pool you anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Willa)
    peterhouse = tiny, so harder to get in.
    Tiny does not equate to hardner to get into - Peterhouse is very competitive for some subjects (particularly history I believe), but not for others. Economics, if I were you I would try to find out what the individual college's reputations are for econ.

ReputationRep:
    I may be wrong, but I thought Peterhouse gave out a very small number of offers, and all of these are realistic, so hardly anyone misses their grades. Hence it's harder to get an offer at the January stage but you're almost certain to make your offer in August. Can anyone verify this?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by musicboy)
    isn't perterhouse full of tory fudgepacking dons (sorry to be crude)

MB

Yes, that's the one. Also it's largely male dominated.

ReputationRep:

MB
    I beg your pardon?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ellie4)
    It varies every year. Just pick a college that feels right and you can imagine yourself living. If it's too full and you're good enough for Cam, they'll pool you anyway.
    Hear, hear!

ReputationRep:

MB
    Allegedly, but you do find the odd normal person floating around there too occasionally :rolleyes:

It's quite different from Downing though - interesting pair to choose between.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economics)
    I know all cambridge colleges are extremely hard to get into but out of peterhouse and downing where do u think i have the best chance of getting in to study economics?
    Apply to downing if ur doing Furthermaths, IF ur not then apply to another college.

ReputationRep:
    Have you been to visit them..? I think you should, if you're able to make a day trip to Cam over the summer, then go with your gut instinct. They're very different colleges (i think..) so once you wander around it should be easier to decide.

ReputationRep:
    You shouldn't look at it like that. Apply to the college you like the most, as like everyone else has said....applications vary year to year, and if you're good enough..you'll get a place/pooled anyway.

Btw- I've heard Downing is a lovely college

G

ReputationRep:
    If you aren't confident in yourself (I never doubted I'd get in because I'm a vain and arrogant wee Irishman), apply to Girton. It's out of the way, no-one seems to want to go there. It's generally under-applied to (at least it was last year&for three years before that).

The best thing of all, you'd get to meet me!

Poll
Who is most responsible for your success at university

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.