Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm starting biomedical science at St George's this September. It is an IBMS accredited course but it doesn't offer a placement which makes registering with the HCPC a problem. I've read a lot and getting a placement at an approved lab to complete your portfolio seems very rare. I know now that I made the mistake of not doing Healthcare Science which funnily enough is a faster way to become a biomedical scientist.

Anyway, how hard is it to find a placement on your own? I'm kind of worried about life after graduation now

Are there any alternatives?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The most lilely route after graduation is finding work as a band 2 medical laboratory assistant and hoping the laboratory will support you with your portfolio.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    The most lilely route after graduation is finding work as a band 2 medical laboratory assistant and hoping the laboratory will support you with your portfolio.
    Is it that hard to find an unpaid placement even? It seems quite ridiculous that even if you excel at uni, you are only qualified for a band 2 position... And the only reason for that is because you can't get a placement when there are plenty of band 5 jobs
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    There are placements but they are mostly taken up by healthcare science students who have a guarenteed placement.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Let me tell you this. Your University course will not prepare you anywhere near what you need for a BMS role in a NHS laboratory. At University you will be taught outdated techniques in order for you to learn the core of each area. An example is gram staining practical every specimen in University. Do you think they have time to do that in a NHS laboratory? No, they whack it on the MALDI-TOF which will give an ID.

Here are the requirements roughly, with some variation in different areas, for each band.

Band 2 - GCSE's
    Band 3 - A Levels & Laboratory Experience
    Band 4 - Any Degree & Laboratory Experience
    Band 5 - Biomedical Science or Related Degree & HCPC Registration, with experience implied by the registration

Which of them does a graduate with no placement qualify for? Yep. Band 2.

A NHS laboratory does not have time to train up a load of graduates to register with the HCPC. My current laboratory has two employed staff doing their portfolio in their spare time. They started as MLA's with degrees.They have one member of staff doing a part-time degree which will result in registration and they have one trainee BMS as a part of the BSc Healthcare Science course. That's 4 people doing their portfolio at one time, all require support. That is a LOT in comparison to most laboratories and that's just within one pathology area.

Laboratories often have an agreement with a University to take X amount of students from them each year as a part of the BSc Healthcare Science course. Every student on that course gets a placement. It may be worth looking into making a last minute switch.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TraineeBMS)
    Let me tell you this. Your University course will not prepare you anywhere near what you need for a BMS role in a NHS laboratory. At University you will be taught outdated techniques in order for you to learn the core of each area. An example is gram staining practical every specimen in University. Do you think they have time to do that in a NHS laboratory? No, they whack it on the MALDI-TOF which will give an ID.

Here are the requirements roughly, with some variation in different areas, for each band.

Band 2 - GCSE's
    Band 3 - A Levels & Laboratory Experience
    Band 4 - Any Degree & Laboratory Experience
    Band 5 - Biomedical Science or Related Degree & HCPC Registration, with experience implied by the registration

Which of them does a graduate with no placement qualify for? Yep. Band 2.

A NHS laboratory does not have time to train up a load of graduates to register with the HCPC. My current laboratory has two employed staff doing their portfolio in their spare time. They started as MLA's with degrees.They have one member of staff doing a part-time degree which will result in registration and they have one trainee BMS as a part of the BSc Healthcare Science course. That's 4 people doing their portfolio at one time, all require support. That is a LOT in comparison to most laboratories and that's just within one pathology area.

Laboratories often have an agreement with a University to take X amount of students from them each year as a part of the BSc Healthcare Science course. Every student on that course gets a placement. It may be worth looking into making a last minute switch.
    Thank you for the information. It helps a lot.

Lets say I get a job as an MLA, will that allow me to fill my portfolio and be registered with the HCPC? How long would it take? I'm kind of scared of the idea of being stuck there

At this point making a last minute switch to Healthcare Science doesn't seem like much of an option. My uni had run out of places for it a while ago. I guess I should maybe be making medicine my plan A (was previously plan B).
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by rolla01)
    Thank you for the information. It helps a lot.

Lets say I get a job as an MLA, will that allow me to fill my portfolio and be registered with the HCPC? How long would it take? I'm kind of scared of the idea of being stuck there

At this point making a last minute switch to Healthcare Science doesn't seem like much of an option. My uni had run out of places for it a while ago. I guess I should maybe be making medicine my plan A (was previously plan B).
    It all depends how drastic you want to be. There are BSc Healthcare Science (Life Science) courses currently in clearing but would involve last minute moving away to a new area etc. Quite drastic.

If you was to get a job as a MLA at my current laboratory, they'd have no issue with you beginning your portfolio after only a few months there. The portfolio on average takes about a year. I know at Leeds Teaching Hospital's they make you apply for Trainee BMS roles, it's very competitive. It's different all over. At LTH I met a recently HCPC registration person who had been waiting several years for a trainee post.

It's worth noting that no laboratory will definitely offer a Band 5 post to a successful registrant. Of course, if a post came up you could apply for it once registered.

ReputationRep:
    Hello there! Anyone still here that is active and could share some advices and guidance on how to apply in the HCPC via international route? Replies would be very much appreciated guys! BTW, I am kristel austria, and trying to aim a progress in my career. Thank you!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by KristelAustria)
    Hello there! Anyone still here that is active and could share some advices and guidance on how to apply in the HCPC via international route? Replies would be very much appreciated guys! BTW, I am kristel austria, and trying to aim a progress in my career. Thank you!
    It took 6 hours for me to see your post and respond.

It took me 5 seconds to Google "HCPC International" and get this.

http://www.hcpc-uk.org/apply/international/

ReputationRep:
    thank you TraineeBMS! I saw this one also,, but i also heard about the IBMS? can i register directly to HCPC or to IBMS? (Institute of Biomedical Science)
    Thank you for your reply!
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    thank you TraineeBMS! I saw this one also,, but i also heard about the IBMS? can i register directly to HCPC or to IBMS? (Institute of Biomedical Science)
    Thank you for your reply!
    That, I am more happier to answer as it isn't as clear with a quick Google

The IBMS isn't the registered body but it does have implications. Firstly I will state that to act as a Biomedical Scientist in the UK you must be HCPC registered. Biomedical Scientist is a registered title and, in the UK, it is someone working in the NHS only. Biomedical Scientist's outside of the NHS do not exist. It is a scientist working in pathology within the NHS.

In order to apply for HCPC registration you must complete a portfolio of evidence. A part of this is having a degree. In order to standardise the degree's they state that in order to use it to apply for HCPC registration it must be IBMS accredited. This is because there is variation in Biomedical Science courses between Universities. Vital modules may not be included at a certain University.

If you're from abroad then I'm assuming your course is not IBMS accredited. This is not the end of the world. It will be costly, but apply to the IBMS for them to evaluate your degree. They will look at the modules and see if there are the relevant modules for it to be deemed worthy of 'IBMS Accreditation'. You the then have to complete your portfolio.

That is how it works for UK residents. There may be differences. If you're already qualified it may be really simple and they may just give you HCPC qualification, however they will want to assess everything you have. HCPC registration is a mark of quality.

It may not be straight forward. The process varies depending on your initial country of employment/learning. The first step is to contact the HCPC and ask them what to do. They will give you advise.

ReputationRep:
    hello QTraineeBMS! yes, I sent an email to HCPC and they mention that IBMS can provide a certificate of competence, and if I have that certificate, I can be eligible to apply to HCPC also.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    hello QTraineeBMS! yes, I sent an email to HCPC and they mention that IBMS can provide a certificate of competence, and if I have that certificate, I can be eligible to apply to HCPC also.
    What normally happens is you complete a HCPC Registration Portfolio which allows you to register with the HCPC and also have an IBMS Certificate of Competence. The IBMS side of it is getting pretty out-dated if I'm honest, the HCPC are the main guys but I'd go ahead and contact the IBMS and ask if they would be able to provide a Certificate of Competence. That would transfer your current skills into being able to work in the NHS as a Biomedical Scientist. That said, it is an if. The IBMS may not provide one if they are not satisfied and may request further training/learning before being eligible. The IBMS and HCPC have higher standards than many foreign organisations and if they feel it is necessary they may ask you to further your learning/training.

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,Does anyone know what is the minimum length of work experience abroad needed in order to apply for HCPC registration via the international route?Many thanks in advance 😊

ReputationRep:
    Hi Maria7777,In the application form via the international route, you are only required to provide your professional experience if there is, or you can also provide your internship experience. If you have work experience from your home country, you can provide that information.May I please know where you are applying? From which country?SECTION 3 – Professional experienceForm no. 1Tell us more about your professional experience, including internships, below.We will contact chosen employers/supervisors to confirm the information you provide.Please only give details of posts relevant to your profession.Please note: If you have not practised since qualifying, please give details of any placements undertaken while studying for yourqualification.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.