The Student Room Group

Unzipping a WinZip file

We run schedules backups using Windows 7 backup tool. After backup wecompress the file using WinZip. The backup file is usually around 4 to 5gb large.
On the last backup we checked if it was ok by extracting the contents andcopying the actual zip file to another drive; both worked perfectly.
Yesterday we needed to extract this backup and it failed. See attachedpic all messages given. We proceeded to move or copy the zipped file andit fails; hence, it could be the hard disk.
We then proceeded to run check-disk and effectively there were drives errors,but were fixed by the tool.
Now I can copy and move the zipped file, but still can't extract the contents.
Please see the pic and helps determine whats the problem and how can we extractthe backup contents.
(if question is wrong zone, please moderator move to according zone).
Reply 1
what do I do? any ideas? I would be grateful for any advice.
Reply 2
My guesswould be that either:
A) The files you originally zipped were corrupt when you zipped the file
B) The Zip became corrupted when your drive had errors
C) You are out of Disk space
D) There are deeper hidden FS errors...

What I would do is copy the file to another drive or system and try to unzip it again.

If that fails, try using 7zip to rule out the utility you are using. And ifthat fails, then I think you need to use third party winzip recovery tool torecover the data for example as powerful ZIPRecoveryToolbox. This error indicates your archive is broken, and your last resort is third-party ZIP repairing tools.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 3
Thank you for the help!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending