Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Im doing Economics, History and Computer science, im about a grade B student and im worried that i wont be able to keep up. I am lucky enough to go to a private sixth form which has one of the highest achieving grades and the class size is a maximum of 7 but a lot of people are coming from private secoundry schools and i feel as if i wont be able to keep up with them. I am going to start revising from day 1, if anyone else has been in this position please give me some advice. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I just finished my A-Levels, and am also a B/C, fairly average student. The school I went to was fairly good, but our class sizes were much bigger than yours and it was also a secondary school, so a lot of teachers weren't willing to spend a lot of time helping me out and legit one of my teachers didn't even teach during lessons, I had to teach myself the entire course, while another of my teachers just couldn't...couldn't. She was not good. However I ended up with an ABB, with one of the B's a mark and a half off of A. Admittedly they were different subjects (except history), but I don't see any reason why you might fail to succeed at a high performing sixth form. I'm sure the teachers there will absolutely be willing to help you and being in a good working environment should also be quite motivational. Best advice I can think of giving is just to stay on top of your assignments, speak to your teachers often about improving, do your own research, and try not to overwhelm yourself. It may feel like a lot of work going in to it, but you get used to the pace quite quickly and as long as you take your teachers advice, you should be fine

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RS012)
    Im doing Economics, History and Computer science, im about a grade B student and im worried that i wont be able to keep up. I am lucky enough to go to a private sixth form which has one of the highest achieving grades and the class size is a maximum of 7 but a lot of people are coming from private secoundry schools and i feel as if i wont be able to keep up with them. I am going to start revising from day 1, if anyone else has been in this position please give me some advice. Thanks.
    College, like school, is all about how much effort and work you put in. I was predicted all As/A*s for my A-levels, but I did no work and ended up with an A and two Bs. If you enjoy the subjects you have chosen, then you'll actually get to enjoy yourself while doing work.

If you're someone who finds it easy to get distracted/procrastinate, then use something like google calendar to try and organise yourself. Break up your study into sizeable chunks, and be disciplined with sticking to your study routine.

Most importantly, enjoy yourself at college! It might seem like a lot of pressure, but if you distribute your workload across the year and maintain a good work balance, you will breeze through.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?
Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.