The Student Room Group

Medicine Re-applicants 2017 Entry

Scroll to see replies

Hey, I had one interview last year and my nerves took over.
Alevels achieved A*AAA
UKCAT 660
GCSEs 5A*s 4As 1B distinction in additional maths
I'm not doing the BMAT.
Can people please give me some advice on where to apply for this year because my ukcat score seems to be just below or above a lot of last years cut offs so i don't know where to apply. I prefer city universities as appose to campus but to be honest i ll be happy with anywhere that would take me. Also any advice for combating nerves would be appreciated. :smile:
Original post by ford2910
Hey, I had one interview last year and my nerves took over.
Alevels achieved A*AAA
UKCAT 660
GCSEs 5A*s 4As 1B distinction in additional maths
I'm not doing the BMAT.
Can people please give me some advice on where to apply for this year because my ukcat score seems to be just below or above a lot of last years cut offs so i don't know where to apply. I prefer city universities as appose to campus but to be honest i ll be happy with anywhere that would take me. Also any advice for combating nerves would be appreciated. :smile:

What did you get in the UKCAT?
Original post by WhoDaresWins
What did you get in the UKCAT?

610 last year. 660 this year. Break down for this year was 550VR 740QR 690AR band 1.
So which unis are people considering? I know that there are like 5-6 that accept resits if i remember correctly. :smile:
Original post by setarcos
So which unis are people considering? I know that there are like 5-6 that accept resits if i remember correctly. :smile:

I'm only looking at UKCAT universities as I do not want to take the BMAT again, i hated it.
For me, Liverpool, Plymouth and East Anglia
Original post by Kings_queens
I'm only looking at UKCAT universities as I do not want to take the BMAT again, i hated it.
For me, Liverpool, Plymouth and East Anglia

I feel exactly the same as you. The BMAT was the vain of my life (apart from the ukcat). I also want to apply to plymouth and liverpool, what are your stats?
Original post by Bloom77
I've done it before
I got two interviews this year but unfortunately was rejected after both of them. I don't feel motivated to go through the process again, particularly because of the ukcat - it's a lot of pressure and I'm not sure how well I will do the second time as I didn't do exceptionally well the first time.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Where did you apply last time?
I feel exactly the same as you. The BMAT was the vain of my life (apart from the ukcat). I also want to apply to plymouth and liverpool, what are your stats?

Hiya actually in the last couple days I got my biology remarked and it went upto an A so thankfully i don't have to retake and apply to retake unis!
My stats:
Gcse: 1A*, 6As, 4Bs
Alevel: A*AA (in religious studies, biology and chemistry respectively)
UKCAT: 710 avg band 2

Most likely going to apply to UKCAT heavy unis now as my GCSEs are low
Good luck with your application!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by Kings_queens
Hiya actually in the last couple days I got my biology remarked and it went upto an A

Yayyyy just dropping in to say that I'm so happy for you, congrats!!! :beer: That must've been such a relief
Hi I'm not a reapplicat but I think it would be wiser if I post questions on this thread than on the non-reapplicat thread as you guys are obviously experienced!
My stats-
GCSE-6A*5A's
As-AAAA
Predicted alevels-A*A*A*and EPQ A*
Good/strong personal statement.
UKCAT 620 SJT-Band1
Where do you suggest I apply from experience?
My UKCAT is s very low but my predictions and As are high. Is exeter and keele a good choice?
Good luck with your applications!
(edited 7 years ago)
Original post by tangled23
Hi I'm not a reapplicat but I think it would be wiser if I post questions on this thread than on the non-reapplicat thread as you guys are obviously experienced!
My stats-
GCSE-6A*5A's
As-AAAA
Predicted alevels-A*A*A*and EPQ A*
Good/strong personal statement.
UKCAT 620 SJT-Band1
Where do you suggest I apply from experience?
My UKCAT is s very low but my predictions and As are high. Is exeter and keele a good choice?
Good luck with your applications!

Keele and bristol. I dont know much about exeter sorry. Maybe liverpool (dont know what their cuf off is though but i know its fairly low), birmingham.
Also you could take the bmat which will open up the door to other unis eg. Ucl, icl, lancaster if you do good.
Keele and bristol. I dont know much about exeter sorry. Maybe liverpool (dont know what their cuf off is though but i know its fairly low), birmingham.
Also you could take the bmat which will open up the door to other unis eg. Ucl, icl, lancaster if you do good.

Yes I am planning to do the BMAT- do UCL rank applicants on BMAT or have a cut off like imperial? I would much prefer ones that have a cutoff as there is no way of knowing what position I am in the ranking! Thank you for your reply! x
Original post by tangled23
Yes I am planning to do the BMAT- do UCL rank applicants on BMAT or have a cut off like imperial? I would much prefer ones that have a cutoff as there is no way of knowing what position I am in the ranking! Thank you for your reply! x

I cant remember sorry, they re definately more lenient than ICL. I got an interview from UCL with 2A in the bmat essay where as I got a pre interview rejection from ICL because of my bmat.
Not a re-applicant but took a gap year and will be applying this year.

Im thinking of Liverpool, Manchester, HYMS and Leicester
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 34
Hi everyone, i'm joining the gap year/reapplicants club :biggrin:

So last year the main thing which let me down was my ukcat score (below average) and then not applying wisely and choosing the wrong unis,,,, e.g HYMS ... yeah no comment :colondollar:

Here are my stats:

GCSE's: 1A*, 7A's
AS: AAAA
A levels: A*AA
UKCAT this year: 763.3 average, SJT band 1

I have 1 week of work experience in a hospital and 3 days at a pharmacy. Also have volunteered for 6 months at a local charity shop.

For my gap year so far i have travelled whilst on holiday in the summer and have a part time job. Have an interview for a job at a hospital which hopefully will get back to me before 15th oct so i can include it in my ps...:tongue: Have applied for volunteering at the hospital and am also organising some at a hospice which will include chatting to and accompanying patients and will be more of a caring role. Other plans are working abroad and travelling towards the beginning of next summer, aswell as pursuing more hobbies and reading some med related books :biggrin: oh and of course not to forget earning some money for the travelling or maybe even so i have some in the bank when i finally go to uni? Hopefully haha.

What kind of plans does everyone else have? What things are you wanting to do or do you think would be beneficial, both generally and for the second application as a whole? It would be nice to see what everyone is doing!
Original post by AZ98
Hi everyone, i'm joining the gap year/reapplicants club :biggrin:

So last year the main thing which let me down was my ukcat score (below average) and then not applying wisely and choosing the wrong unis,,,, e.g HYMS ... yeah no comment :colondollar:

Here are my stats:

GCSE's: 1A*, 7A's
AS: AAAA
A levels: A*AA
UKCAT this year: 763.3 average, SJT band 1

I have 1 week of work experience in a hospital and 3 days at a pharmacy. Also have volunteered for 6 months at a local charity shop.

For my gap year so far i have travelled whilst on holiday in the summer and have a part time job. Have an interview for a job at a hospital which hopefully will get back to me before 15th oct so i can include it in my ps...:tongue: Have applied for volunteering at the hospital and am also organising some at a hospice which will include chatting to and accompanying patients and will be more of a caring role. Other plans are working abroad and travelling towards the beginning of next summer, aswell as pursuing more hobbies and reading some med related books :biggrin: oh and of course not to forget earning some money for the travelling or maybe even so i have some in the bank when i finally go to uni? Hopefully haha.

What kind of plans does everyone else have? What things are you wanting to do or do you think would be beneficial, both generally and for the second application as a whole? It would be nice to see what everyone is doing!

Wow you should try Newcastle with that UKCAT!
Hi, I'm also reapplying to medicine. Here are my stats:
Academics - 7 As at national 5, 4 As and a B at Higher and 2 Bs at Advanced Higher and an A for Higher in my sixth year. I also did an Open University module (SK185).
UKCAT: 2016 entry - 645 average, stj band 1. 2017 entry - 680 average, stj band 1.

My personal statement was really strong last year and I am looking to make it even better with the following:
Determination as re-applicant, 2 weeks spent volunteering with the scouting organisation in Switzerland in the summer just there, transition from young leader to fully warranted leader of my local scout group, additional work experience, I'm looking for a job related to healthcare or at least in a people focused role, I'm doing my gold dofe award and subsequently the Queen's Scout Award and I am applying to volunteer for the entire season next summer as a hiking guide at the Kandersteg International Scouting Centre ( btw, how should I mention this in my ps?).

Last year I applied to Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Glasgow and St. Andrews. I made the waiting list for Aberdeen, although nothing came of that. All my feedback said that my low UKCAT was what had a significant negative impact on my application last year. I think that I stand my best chance with Aberdeen since I made their waiting list in the last cycle so I will be definitely be applying to Aberdeen. I was also considering applying to Dundee, Edinburgh and St. Andrews with a back-up application to study chemistry at either Glasgow or Edinburgh university.

Can anyone offer me advice on my selection of which medical schools to apply to or on my application?
Thanks
hi everyone! Just gonna introduce myself. I missed my offer this year (A*AB) so I'm back to try again. I previously held an offer at QUB and Liverpool. I'm gonna resit the B and hope for an A* this time. I got 705 average on the UKCAT. PS is in the works. What else? Oh yeah, currently thinking about unis. What looks good guys?
Original post by Lostalltime
which unis accept resits?

Liverpool, keele, lancaster, BSMS, plymouth, exter and UEA. :smile: But they all have different conditions so you might want to check those uni requirements more closely.
Reply 39
Original post by WhoDaresWins
Wow you should try Newcastle with that UKCAT!

Yeah newcastle was looking like a definite option in my head too :biggrin: I'm wanting to apply to barts/queen marys and kings too this time around, although i'm quite worried about my ucas tariff - which queens have a 50:50 weighting on along with ukcat. Do you think my ukcat score could possibly compensate for my lower ucas tariff since i don't have many A*'s at gcse?:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending