Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much money do I need to save for university and what for?? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys,

I'm applying to go to university starting in September 2017 and I'm going to start saving now because I'm truly rubbish at it! I know there isn't a set amount of how much one person can live on but roughly how much would I need? I know this sounds daft but what do I need to save for? I'm making a list to be prepared

I don't know if this is much help but I'm thinking of applying to Southampton, Essex, Sussex, Portsmouth and Bedfordshire

Thanks for your help

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Your biggest cost will be accommodation so you will need to enquire as to how much that costs. Then you will need to feed yourself (£25 - 40 a week), dress yourself, travel costs if you are not on campus and finally entertainments / social costs. You need to decide how much you can afford for all these costs and then factor it in.

There is lots more info here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-guide

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    Your biggest cost will be accommodation so you will need to enquire as to how much that costs. Then you will need to feed yourself (£25 - 40 a week), dress yourself, travel costs if you are not on campus and finally entertainments / social costs. You need to decide how much you can afford for all these costs and then factor it in.

There is lots more info here:
    http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/student-guide

Good luck!
    Thanks for the help!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I did a spreadsheet with income and outgoings... sounds boring, but it genuinely helped!
    Income being student loan and money from relatives,
    Outgoings being accommodation, food, leisure and phone contract,
    At your stage, it's easier to just save as much as possible though?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ezme39)
    I did a spreadsheet with income and outgoings... sounds boring, but it genuinely helped!
    Income being student loan and money from relatives,
    Outgoings being accommodation, food, leisure and phone contract,
    At your stage, it's easier to just save as much as possible though?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, thanks for the help! I think I'll try get a part time job whilst at uni, I'll have to buy pots and pans and stuff

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by littlemix012)
    Posted from TSR Mobile

Again, thanks for the help! I think I'll try get a part time job whilst at uni, I'll have to buy pots and pans and stuff
    Yeah, the initial outlay is quite costly! Wilkinsons do those kinds of things really cheaply, literally £2/3 per item - cheaper than supermarkets, Argos etc. Make sure you shop around for the best deals

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    How much money do you spend a week?The ultimate guide to tax!Guide to student bank accounts

Sponsored features:

Web Legend

Win a Macbook Air!

Blog about setting up a website for a chance to win in our Web Legend competition.

Quick link:

Unanswered money and finance threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.