The Student Room Group

How long should it take to write a personal statement?

I was on a world challenge type expedition in the last week of school so missed all of the personal statement sessions my sixth form ran, where most people handed in a first draft. Now I'm back and mostly over the jet lag I need to have a decent draft to hand in on my first week back. The trouble is I don't have much time before then to get it written and I'm already having pretty bad writers block with my opening line, so I wanted to know how long it should take me to write (because I know some people spend way too long on it)! Thanks!!:cute:
Personal statements will take a while, over a month or two maybe more to full complete and send in. For a first draft it could take a day or two minimum if you spent most of your time to it. I think I spaced my first draft out in small sessions per day and completed it in about a week!
I would first start by jotting down ideas and bullets points of what you want to put in it and organise it into sections. You ideally want sections which reason why you want to do the course and what makes you good for the course, your academic achievements and then finally and extra-curricular. Make sure that you bring each point to why it will benefit you on your course! Don't fixate on the first sentence, get the main stuff done first as a first line can be difficult as you don't want it to be common/cliche!
Hope this helps!
Use the PS builder (linked in my signature below) :smile: I suggest you leave the intro for the end, or do a really dull 'I want to study X because...' to start with, just so you have something

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending