The Student Room Group

Seeking Advice..

Hello guys.
I am 22 now and have 4 years health care experience (1 year as a physiotherapy tech) I have been rejected from all universities to study physiotherapy this year and looking for alternative routes. I am looking into sports therapy foundation courses, would i be able to apply for physiotherapy after the foundation year or would i only be eligible to sports therapy? I am literally looking for any routes to physiotherapy right now. I have recently done an access course but i do not have the distinctions that meets the requirements for physiotherapy. I am even considering the long route round and doing sports therapy or rehabilitation to get a good base for my future goal.
Any advice would be great.
(edited 7 years ago)
Reply 1
Bump
What are your GCSE and A levels like? Were you rejected at interview or before getting there? Ah, just read you did an access course. If you are not up to scratch with that then I presume that is what the issue is? It is a competitive course to get into, and if you haven't met the requirements, there is unlikely to be much leeway.

I would very strongly recommend against doing a sports rehab or science degree just to get you to the masters or Bsc course. One of our new juniors has taken a similar route, and ok, she is now a physio, but she is tens of thousands of pounds in debt. This is even more of a consideration as I believe that next year they are scrapping the bursary for physio students? So, you get into 30k of debt doing sports science for instance, and then need to get into another 30k of debt to get you through physio - this is before you have thought about living costs such as housing and food. You could easily find yourself 80 - 100k down before you then start earning a very modest wage as a junior. Just not worth it.

So, what is it that is stopping you getting that place? If it is the access course then can you retake it and get your grades up? If it is interview practice then can you brush up on this? *
Original post by Ezpara
Bump

What are your GCSE and A levels like? Were you rejected at interview or before getting there? Ah, just read you did an access course. If you are not up to scratch with that then I presume that is what the issue is?

It is a competitive course to get into, and if you haven't met the requirements, there is unlikely to be much leeway. I would very strongly recommend against doing a sports rehab or science degree just to get you to the masters or Bsc course. One of our new juniors has taken a similar route, and ok, she is now a physio, but she is tens of thousands of pounds in debt. This is even more of a consideration as I believe that next year they are scrapping the bursary for physio students? So, you get into 30k of debt doing sports science for instance, and then need to get into another 30k of debt to get you through physio - this is before you have thought about living costs such as housing and food. You could easily find yourself 80 - 100k down before you then start earning a very modest wage as a junior. Just not worth it.

So, what is it that is stopping you getting that place? If it is the access course then can you retake it and get your grades up? If it is interview practice then can you brush up on this? *
Original post by Ezpara
Bump

What are your GCSE and A levels like? Were you rejected at interview or before getting there? Ah, just read you did an access course. If you are not up to scratch with that then I presume that is what the issue is?

It is a competitive course to get into, and if you haven't met the requirements, there is unlikely to be much leeway. I would very strongly recommend against doing a sports rehab or science degree just to get you to the masters or Bsc course. One of our new juniors has taken a similar route, and ok, she is now a physio, but she is tens of thousands of pounds in debt. This is even more of a consideration as I believe that next year they are scrapping the bursary for physio students? So, you get into 30k of debt doing sports science for instance, and then need to get into another 30k of debt to get you through physio - this is before you have thought about living costs such as housing and food. You could easily find yourself 80 - 100k down before you then start earning a very modest wage as a junior. Just not worth it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending