Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Has Brexit affected PGCE funding? watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    On government website, it states that following the UK's decision to leave the EU, please be assured if you're taking a PGCE in 2016 your funding will be secured.

There is no mention of what will happen after that, but this obviously leads you to believe something will happen.

TSR have prevented me from responding from a post in the Student Finance part of the forum asking the same question, which is quite concerning.

If anyone has any info please reply or PM me.

Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by J_89)
    On government website, it states that following the UK's decision to leave the EU, please be assured if you're taking a PGCE in 2016 your funding will be secured.

There is no mention of what will happen after that, but this obviously leads you to believe something will happen.

TSR have prevented me from responding from a post in the Student Finance part of the forum asking the same question, which is quite concerning.

If anyone has any info please reply or PM me.

Thanks.
    Are you a UK citizen or from another EU member state?

If the former, your entitlement to funding will not change. Your fees will be the normal Home student rate and you will be entitled to whatever bursaries are on offer that year (bear in mind these do change - you can't assume the bursaries next year will be the same as this year).

If the latter, it will depend on what arrangements are reached in negotiations. Currently EU students pay the same as UK students (we're all "Home students") whereas students from non-EU countries pay significantly more. It's possible that if we leave the EU, students from EU member states will have different funding arrangements and have to pay more. On the other hand, the government might try to come to an agreement regarding Higher Education in order to continue attracting EU students and so UK students can participate in Erasmus, etc.

Regardless of what the long-term plan is, I doubt much will have changed by September 2017.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.