The Student Room Group

Edexcel old spec students help me please.

basically I've completed my psychology a level.
At AS i got an E absolutely terrible.
i retook AS alongside A2 and still ended up with an overall E.
i only boosted my Unit 2 grade up too a B
my unit 3 and 4 were both U's and my unit 1 resit was yet again, an E.
im giving psychology a last shot. ill be resitting unit 1,3 and 4 in june 2017.
I need some serious tips and general advice to help me get a B in this subject...anybody???

Scroll to see replies

I have also completed my Alevel Psychology and I got a C, 2 ums marks off a B hence the reason why i'll be also retaking a module. What I find that did help me and I should of done more of was past papers. My friend who has achieved an A* recommended me to complete my notes and go over them as much as possible as well as looking at past papers and markschemes. Hope it helps!
Reply 2
Original post by Ismail786
basically I've completed my psychology a level.
At AS i got an E absolutely terrible.
i retook AS alongside A2 and still ended up with an overall E.
i only boosted my Unit 2 grade up too a B
my unit 3 and 4 were both U's and my unit 1 resit was yet again, an E.
im giving psychology a last shot. ill be resitting unit 1,3 and 4 in june 2017.
I need some serious tips and general advice to help me get a B in this subject...anybody???

Hi!
One method I found useful when studying for Psychology was to draw a big mind map (I'm a visual learner). This means linking all the theories, studies and evaluation in one mindmap so you can see the links. Especially in Unit 4 which has issues and debates, a mindmap or a table would be useful(used up 2 exercise books just drawing these mindmaps). Adding drawings to the mindmap will help you remember your notes better too.
Another thing that I wold strongly recommend would be reading the mark schemes. The mark schemes will tell you what the examiners are looking out for so you won't lose unnecessary marks during the exam.
For now, you still have a lot of time before the exam so I suggest you start studying consistently a few hours a day.
These are just some tips but if you need any more support or help feel free to just pm me, I'll be happy to help!:smile:

-Gabrielle
Hello! I'm in the same boat as you, i'll be re-siting my exams this may/june. I'm really nervous but hopeful. How has your revisiom been coming along? Hopefully it's been going alright.
OMG YES IM SO HAPPY MORE OF YOU EXIST!
I also got an E and am resitting all 4 units, so nervous because i need to get a high C this time round to get my conditional uni offer :/
any of you doing the unit 1 exam tomorrow?? i've been trying to look for predictions but i can't find ANY for this year because they obviously aren't teaching this syllabus anymore which is so frustrating!

any of you know/know how to find any predictions?? :smile:
Original post by stevieee21
OMG YES IM SO HAPPY MORE OF YOU EXIST!
I also got an E and am resitting all 4 units, so nervous because i need to get a high C this time round to get my conditional uni offer :/
any of you doing the unit 1 exam tomorrow?? i've been trying to look for predihctions but i can't find ANY for this year because they obviously aren't teaching this syllabus anymore which is so frustrating!

any of you know/know how to find any predictions?? :smile:

hello
I just sat u 1 today, how did you find it? I had a feeling that theories and studies would come up since they didn't appear last year and i bet you 10 that it's going to be similar to u.2 whereas u.3 and 4 will have a focus on key issue and practical.
Reply 6
Original post by Vanellope
hello
I just sat u 1 today, how did you find it? I had a feeling that theories and studies would come up since they didn't appear last year and i bet you 10 that it's going to be similar to u.2 whereas u.3 and 4 will have a focus on key issue and practical.

it was a good exam, bar the questions about describing godden and baddelys samples i wrote that there was 18 ps from a university diving club in scotland that consisted of males and females. i has no idea what else to write for the allocated marks. and the following question about evaluating the sample.
Original post by Ismail786
it was a good exam, bar the questions about describing godden and baddelys samples i wrote that there was 18 ps from a university diving club in scotland that consisted of males and females. i has no idea what else to write for the allocated marks. and the following question about evaluating the sample.

i fell short on that question and the following, i commented on how it was a volunteer sample, and the number was very small thus not representative. I completely messed up the 12 mark question, stupid charlotte going to a new school and wanting to fit in. that threw me off completely.
Reply 8
i fell short on that question and the following, i commented on how it was a volunteer sample, and the number was very small thus not representative. I completely messed up the 12 mark question, stupid charlotte going to a new school and wanting to fit in. that threw me off completely.

oh god, im sure you did fine! forget about it and move your attention along to your next exam
Hello everyone, I am retaking unit 4 & 3 as last year I achieved a C in both units. I am dreading it! Does anyone by any chance have any predictions?
Original post by ahmd12345
Hello everyone, I am retaking unit 4 & 3 as last year I achieved a C in both units. I am dreading it! Does anyone by any chance have any predictions?

So far, i feel like my predictions have been quite accurate. I think key issues and practical will be a focus in u.3 and 4. Based on how u.1 and 2 were last year.
Did anyone do unit two understanding a individual? I thought it was ok. I ran out of time for the 12 marker I finished it but missed an important point " after the participants finished the test the scores were counted" idk how I forgot such a blatantly obvious point.Honestly I read through every markscheme before this exam and im glad I did it was a lot of theory and evaluations. Tbh you never know how well you've done when it comes to a level.
Original post by Juvia L
Did anyone do unit two understanding a individual? I thought it was ok. I ran out of time for the 12 marker I finished it but missed an important point " after the participants finished the test the scores were counted" idk how I forgot such a blatantly obvious point.Honestly I read through every markscheme before this exam and im glad I did it was a lot of theory and evaluations. Tbh you never know how well you've done when it comes to a level.

Hey yeah I did the exam too!! What did you think of it?? the 12 marker threw me a bit because I just assumed it would be theory based wasn't ready for the practical haha, omg don't worry i forgot to say that too but I wrote the % results for men and women?? I can't believe how much time I had though I made like 5 eval points!!
So far, i feel like my predictions have been quite accurate. I think key issues and practical will be a focus in u.3 and 4. Based on how u.1 and 2 were last year.

Thank you, I really don't like the practicals !
Original post by stevieee21
Hey yeah I did the exam too!! What did you think of it?? the 12 marker threw me a bit because I just assumed it would be theory based wasn't ready for the practical haha, omg don't worry i forgot to say that too but I wrote the % results for men and women?? I can't believe how much time I had though I made like 5 eval points!!

I thought it wasnt that bad for me and just like you I thought the 12 marker would be comparing gender development theories or describing and evaluating.I panicked a bit when I saw it 😭 and I almost forgot what a validity point for badura was so I wrote about artificial situation (ecological validity) etc
Hey guys! Anyone whos doing the unit 4 can anyone explain issues and debates to me?? Like I just don't understand the entire approach like I get there's all the different key issues and stuff but do you have to explain them using all the approaches?? Also I don't get any of the debates at all I feel like the books don't explain what I need to be able to do for each debate??
Basically I just find the whole thing very confusing and if anyone can help that would be great 😂
Reply 16
Hey guys I collected notes for the practicals please let me know if I can make it better or if i've missed out key bits, also does anyone want me to post some of my materials I'm not 100% they are perfect but let me know if they'd be helpful

Also added key issues but again pls let me know if i've missed out bits or if I haven't written anything helpful lol.

Got a D in both papers and redoing them this year really struggle with evaluation and writing my own study? any tips
Reply 17
any predictions for unit 3/4. I do crim and child for applications btw
Why are the mark schemes for unit 3 so horrible like "This means that behaviour may not be spontaneous or natural " The level of control makes the procedure consistent and the results
are likely to be the same again and again" WHY ARE THE MARK SCHEMES SO DAMN EXTRA.. cant it say procedure is controlled so it its replicable.
Reply 19
I know right! The mark schemes are bs some times.

Anyone got any good evaluation points for these three questions:
1. Evaluate Bowlby's Maternal Deprivation Hypothesis (6)
2. Evaluate Bowlby's theory of attachment (6)
3. Evaluate Evolutionary theory of attachment (6)

Quick Reply

Latest