The Student Room Group

freshers' week : am I supposed to go alone ??

Hi ! I'm a 22 y old girl from France and I'm about to start a master degree in a scottish university. I'm really excited about freshers' week and I want to do everything lol.
But the thing is since I'm from France and I will move to uni on the first weekend of freshers week, I won't know anyone at all, and I'm going to be in a hall which is only for postgrad students, so I'm afraid they won't want to go party, and also I have no idea what is the " etiquette" for freshers' week lol, is it normal to go alone to the clubs and the nights organized at the student union or other activities ??

I would definitely feel like a weirdo going alone as I've never done that before, but, on the other hand, how the hell am I supposed to find people to go with me, when I'm actually going to these events to make friends ?

Also do you think the other students at freshers' week are going to think I'm old because I'm 22 and I don't drink ?? ( I definitely don't think I'm too old for this , and I really want to experience it as in my country there's absolutely nothing organized for students, but I don't know what a bunch of 18 years old will think)

:smile:
Which scottish uni are you going to? I'm at a scottish uni so if you're at mine, I'm happy to show you around :smile:.
Reply 2
Original post by GoingToBurst
Which scottish uni are you going to? I'm at a scottish uni so if you're at mine, I'm happy to show you around :smile:.

Strathclyde :smile:
You should be fine going out with your flatmates, try and get in contact with them before getting there to get a feel for how things will be. Or look around on facebook pages and TSR to find other people and maybe you'll find a group of people to go out with.

Your age won't be an issue as there are plenty of people starting uni in their early 20s in the UK and from experience most people up to ~25 fit in, but the fresher's week you're talking about is heavily based upon drinking so I'm not sure it'll be the experience you think it is if you don't drink.
Reply 4
Original post by Helloworld_95
You should be fine going out with your flatmates, try and get in contact with them before getting there to get a feel for how things will be. Or look around on facebook pages and TSR to find other people and maybe you'll find a group of people to go out with.

Your age won't be an issue as there are plenty of people starting uni in their early 20s in the UK and from experience most people up to ~25 fit in, but the fresher's week you're talking about is heavily based upon drinking so I'm not sure it'll be the experience you think it is if you don't drink.

Hi,
Unfortunately the accommodation office said they wouldn't pair us with people until the very end ( we had to fill out a form with our hobbies and our personalities and stuff like that) so I won't know until I actually get the keys :/.

Well that's reassuring to know I won't be considered old lol .

Well I've been an exchange student in Ireland last semester and I went to the refreshers' parties and such ( except I didn't go to many as classes had already started ) and except for one really annoying other exchange student girl who kept trying to force me to drink and was all the time saying to me stuff like " you smoke weed sometimes so I don't see how that's different", people were really accepting and they didn't mind that I didn't drink, they kept inviting me when they went out etc ( a group of american guys even gave me water to play beer pong with them lol) . And honestly it's funny to watch, drunk people are hilarious lol. Do you think people are going to "reject" me just because I don't drink ? :s-smilie:
Original post by kiwi94
Hi,
Unfortunately the accommodation office said they wouldn't pair us with people until the very end ( we had to fill out a form with our hobbies and our personalities and stuff like that) so I won't know until I actually get the keys :/.

Well that's reassuring to know I won't be considered old lol .

Well I've been an exchange student in Ireland last semester and I went to the refreshers' parties and such ( except I didn't go to many as classes had already started ) and except for one really annoying other exchange student girl who kept trying to force me to drink and was all the time saying to me stuff like " you smoke weed sometimes so I don't see how that's different", people were really accepting and they didn't mind that I didn't drink, they kept inviting me when they went out etc ( a group of american guys even gave me water to play beer pong with them lol) . And honestly it's funny to watch, drunk people are hilarious lol. Do you think people are going to "reject" me just because I don't drink ? :s-smilie:

That's odd, but like I said you can just seek out other people in your halls.

Fresher's is a very different game to refresher's in terms of going out at night as it's mostly there to encourage bonding via mutual drunken embarrassment. I don't think you'll be rejected so much as it'll be a poor experience for you due to how alcohol oriented the events are, you will likely struggle to find any enjoyment in them if going as a sober person. As you've said the refresher's parties were just that, parties, whereas fresher's events pretty much exclusively involve going clubbing.
Reply 6
Original post by Helloworld_95
That's odd, but like I said you can just seek out other people in your halls.

Fresher's is a very different game to refresher's in terms of going out at night as it's mostly there to encourage bonding via mutual drunken embarrassment. I don't think you'll be rejected so much as it'll be a poor experience for you due to how alcohol oriented the events are, you will likely struggle to find any enjoyment in them if going as a sober person. As you've said the refresher's parties were just that, parties, whereas fresher's events pretty much exclusively involve going clubbing.

Sorry I wasn't being clear, when I said parties I meant clubbing events just for students :colondollar: Anyway, thanks , I guess I just hope it'll turn out ok ^^.
Reply 7
Original post by kiwi94
Hi ! I'm a 22 y old girl from France and I'm about to start a master degree in a scottish university. I'm really excited about freshers' week and I want to do everything lol.
But the thing is since I'm from France and I will move to uni on the first weekend of freshers week, I won't know anyone at all, and I'm going to be in a hall which is only for postgrad students, so I'm afraid they won't want to go party, and also I have no idea what is the " etiquette" for freshers' week lol, is it normal to go alone to the clubs and the nights organized at the student union or other activities ??

I would definitely feel like a weirdo going alone as I've never done that before, but, on the other hand, how the hell am I supposed to find people to go with me, when I'm actually going to these events to make friends ?

Also do you think the other students at freshers' week are going to think I'm old because I'm 22 and I don't drink ?? ( I definitely don't think I'm too old for this , and I really want to experience it as in my country there's absolutely nothing organized for students, but I don't know what a bunch of 18 years old will think)

Which accomodation did you get?
Also going strathy😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
Original post by ACz09
Which accomodation did you get?
Also going strathy😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

Andrew ure, what about you? What are you going to study? 😃
Reply 9
Original post by kiwi94
Andrew ure, what about you? What are you going to study? 😃

Thomas Campbell haha. I'll be studying law! What are you doing your masters in? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 10
Original post by ACz09
Thomas Campbell haha. I'll be studying law! What are you doing your masters in? 😃

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm pretty sure I won't like Andrew Ure, because for some reason, since it's off campus ( well it's like a 5 min walk from campus) I have a feeling it'll be full of older people, as in 30+ lol. I'm going to study digital journalism :smile:. I'll pm you :smile:
Original post by kiwi94

There will be a lot of other people going alone so don't worry. If you can't find anyone to go with go alone. You can always leave and go back to your room if you're uncomfortable, I honestly feel pretty nervous about that too. I have a friend who goes to another university in the city so hopefully i'll be able to go to some stuff with her. However I know a lot of things i'll have to go to alone so hopefully I make a friend or two.
Reply 12
Original post by amylaraman
There will be a lot of other people going alone so don't worry. If you can't find anyone to go with go alone. You can always leave and go back to your room if you're uncomfortable, I honestly feel pretty nervous about that too. I have a friend who goes to another university in the city so hopefully i'll be able to go to some stuff with her. However I know a lot of things i'll have to go to alone so hopefully I make a friend or two.

Yeah I guess you're right, it's better to go alone than miss out, and we may end up making friends. It's just that as a girl I don't feel safe going alone to clubs, but oh well I'll be going on a bus to ikea organized by the uni in the morning so maybe I'll meet people there:biggrin:
Original post by kiwi94
Yeah I guess you're right, it's better to go alone than miss out, and we may end up making friends. It's just that as a girl I don't feel safe going alone to clubs, but oh well I'll be going on a bus to ikea organized by the uni in the morning so maybe I'll meet people there:biggrin:

That's definitely something i'm worried about. However there should be a ton of people about so you'll be fine. Just be aware of your surroundings, don't drink too much, and make sure no one spikes your drink.
Original post by kiwi94

Hello :biggrin:

Congratulations on getting a place to do your Masters - excellent news! I wish you all the best.

When it comes to Freshers and finding people to go with;
Even if you are moving in with post-grad students, some of them will maybe want to go to Freshers - it will all be about talking to them and inviting you on a night out with you. At the same time, I've known students to go to Freshers week alone and make plenty of friends once they are there.

Equally, have a look around on social media (Facebook etc), they may be groups set up by students or the SU where you can meet people and start talking to them and see what people are going to Freshers.

Age has no impact on Freshers Week from what I've experienced. Mature students and students get along fine and it doesn't really make a difference and not drinking is no big deal - you do what you feel comfortable with and that's fine.

Best of luck :smile:
Reply 15
I'm a student at Strathclyde too. Going into my 3rd year and am 24, so don't worry about your age :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 16
The whole point of freshers' events, is to get a load of strangers together and give them an informal way to meet, mingle and get to know each other. If you're young enough to enjoy clubs, dancing and (possibly) drinking, then it's normal to turn up on your own.

You can meet up outside the organised events if you feel more comfortable that way. Maybe pick a couple of societies and go to the first couple of meetings. Or arrange a coffee social on Facebook if your Student Union is more focussed on booze and staying up late (like mine was :smile: ).
Reply 17
Thank you all :smile: It sounds like there's something for everyone and being 22 is still considered young at uni so that's good :smile: . And I intend on clubbing and stuff like that because I like that I just won't drink :smile:
Reply 18
Exactly!
FYI, I still love going clubbing 🙌 feel free to tag alone anytime, the more the merrier! 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest