Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I mean.. Is it hard to get into the acting industry?
    My parents really want me to become a surgeon and my grades in school are quite good but I've always wanted to be an actress, even though it would disappoint them.
    I really want to be happy when I grow up. I want to wake up every morning feeling energetic and ecstatic about what I do, I don't want to live someone else's dream..I want to pursue my own dreams, no matter what other people think.

what level of education are you at

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by itsnoraa._)
    I mean.. Is it hard to get into the acting industry?
    My parents really want me to become a surgeon and my grades in school are quite good but I've always wanted to be an actress, even though it would disappoint them.
    I really want to be happy when I grow up. I want to wake up every morning feeling energetic and ecstatic about what I do, I don't want to live someone else's dream..I want to pursue my own dreams, no matter what other people think.
    You should always do what you want to do and what you are passionate about and not what your parents want you to do or you will always regret doing things for other people but if you were successful as an actress your parents would still be proud of you. I don't know if it is hard to become an actress but i think it is easier if you got yourself an agent to find you acting jobs. I don't know how to find agents but just type acting agents on google to see what comes up and type acting jobs on google I would love to be an actress and wish i had persued that career or even do film extra work but it's never too late for anyone to try.
    I did not try very hard to persue it, i just gave up if. Film extra companies i went to in the past asked for fees upfront so i knew it was a con if they ask for money but with agents you do have to pay which is fair.
    I Just wish i knew of film extra work where i don't have to pay for proffessional pictures first but i don't know where to find it
    I think I will try google for that too.

You can sign up with Star Now or Star Auditions and they send you emails about any acting jobs and auditions in and outside of London. I signed up with them and it's free to sign up and apply for some auditions but to get more info on more auditions you have to pay a monthly fee which i have not done.
    Or you can contact Capital Casting 0207 281 7766
    [email protected]
    They take anybody 18 - 100 years old or maybe children too but not sure, anyway they get people jobs for modelling, acting, extras, tv, film, background artists, music videos, fashion magazines, commercials
    They are based close to Finsbury Park station, Fontill Road, London
    But maybe they have offices outside of London. You will have to contact them to find out.

I went to them a couple of years ago and the lady i spoke to said i was perfect for it
    I'm not that confident and i was only interested in starting off as a film extra being in the background but i did not persue it because although they don't charge a fee you have to have professional pictures so they can put it on the internet or if you don't have any they will do it for you for £300. I did not have that money but if i really was desperate to be an actress i would have got a loan or saved up but one day if i get a loan to pay it then i will sign up with them because they seemed really good and the lady i spoke to said they get jobs for people where they get £100 for just one days work.

Anyway they definitely were not a con and they had acting jobs and auditions for adverts, etc in and outside of London. When i tell other people to join if their interested in making extra money paying £300 for professional pictures puts them off but if it's someone's dream to do acting then obviously it costs a lot to have professional pictures taken so employers and film directors can see what people look like and choose them to come for auditions.

ReputationRep:
    It's quite hard, it's one of those things you inherit or your grown into from birth, but if you're talented then I guess it's possible. As you can imagine it's competitive and I think acting is one of those things people are born into as I said through inheritance or grown into BUT also people pursue it as a passion and hit some luck along the way or just keep working hard, however they don't expect to become some movie star but they just enjoy it and are prepared to take on a lifestyle where they can just about make ends meet. If you think you're a person who seeks and takes advantage of opportunities and are prepared to take a risk that takes plenty of hard work then go for it but be cautious you don't blindly walk in with a disillusion of what the 'acting industry' is then back out when you see the reality of it, you must be prepared to work yourself through the ranks to prove yourself.

What are you like with photography and videography? Directing your own films or building a team to make your own films which you can (co)/star in is quite popular these days, this allows you to be seen in film festivals and get yourself out there, doing that along side stage productions and castings will build a nice profile and you'll be approaching the acting industry all round and not just from one position. Casting tends to be hardest to get into but is extremely rewarding, staging is alright and will get you by I suppose but it takes the most work and is fairly rewarding, filming/self production is probably the easiest but the least rewarding although it can pay off with the right amount of dedication and talent.

ReputationRep:
    It's very hard, let's not beat around the bush.

It depends on your acting ambition? You want to be a movie star?
    I've just been to LA, everyone is doing it. It's estimated around 300,000 people are members of SAG. And there's about say 80 movie stars?

It's not something you get into for money or fame, you do it because you love it. 90 per cent plus of actors don't even get paid for it.

If you love it, and are willing to work like absolute crazy. Go for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Marketing,Sales ad PR Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.