Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I have decided to apply for medicine with a foundation year as the grade boundaries are lowered here to ABB or BBC. My predicted grades are ABB and can be AAB. I have a few questions regarding with course.
    1.) is the foundation year simply an extra year and will I get the same degree after I complete the 6 year course as I would if I completed the 5 year course.
    2.) What do I write in my personal statement? Why I'm applying for foundation or why I'm applying for medicine? Also do I include work experience in my personal statement?
    3.) if I want to apply for psychology at a different uni do I have to change my personal statement?
    4.) when do I apply for funding and loans?
    5.) do I need a ukcat test for a foundation year and how do I revise for it?

ReputationRep:
    1) Yes, most foundation courses cover the sciences required for medicine in the first year, then from 2nd year onwards they act as a 5 year medical course and you may/probably learn alongside the students doing 5 year medicine

2) Discuss what you learnt from your WE in your PS but don't waste precious space listing all your WE. You can include WE in other parts of your UCAS application or some universities send out a form prior to interview asking you to list your WE

3) You can only have one PS for your UCAS application

4) After you have applied, the sooner the better, although sometimes such services may be unavailable until a certain date. Check Student Finance England for more info on dates

5) Not sure about this, each university is different with regards to entry requirements. Here is the wiki but some of the information may be outdated so its best to check each universities website or to contact them for the most up-to-date information - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...icine_Programs

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Marathi)
    1) Yes, most foundation courses cover the sciences required for medicine in the first year, then from 2nd year onwards they act as a 5 year medical course and you may/probably learn alongside the students doing 5 year medicine

2) Discuss what you learnt from your WE in your PS but don't waste precious space listing all your WE. You can include WE in other parts of your UCAS application or some universities send out a form prior to interview asking you to list your WE

3) You can only have one PS for your UCAS application

4) After you have applied, the sooner the better, although sometimes such services may be unavailable until a certain date. Check Student Finance England for more info on dates

5) Not sure about this, each university is different with regards to entry requirements. Here is the wiki but some of the information may be outdated so its best to check each universities website or to contact them for the most up-to-date information - http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki...icine_Programs
    Thanks so much! However, in my PS do I write about why I'm applying for medicine or why I'm applying for a foundation year first?

ReputationRep:
    I am not too sure about that. Personally I wouldn't even go as far as to distinguish the two as separate things, medicine is medicine with a foundation year or not. I think the university will know why you are applying for a foundation year (due to results) over the 5 year course.

If the circumstances were different and it was a foundation course aimed at or tailored towards those from a disadvantaged background/who didn't do science A-levels/geographic location then I would address that, but this would make your PS too tailored towards a single university.

Foundation is a bit more complicated due to the differing entry criteria, figure out where you want to apply to and what they require for entry and tailor your PS to that. If the differences between them are quite large then I'd contact the university and see if you could send them a separate PS/letter or ask them what they normally expect in that kind of situation.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
Poll
Are you going to a festival?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.