The Student Room Group

UCAS Help

I've raised money for great ormand street hospital and was in the childrens marathon challenge (Children with Leukaemia) However i done this stuff in year 7 or even in primary school, does it still count?
To be frank, it's probably not particularly relevant. Not only was it a long time ago, but (although I don't know what courses you're applying for) it probably won't actually relate that well to your reasons for wanting to study x at university. I'd leave it out, as it just makes it look like you've not got anything more recent to talk about.
Reply 2
Original post by Nuggetsarelife
I've raised money for great ormand street hospital and was in the childrens marathon challenge (Children with Leukaemia) However i done this stuff in year 7 or even in primary school, does it still count?

There's nothing stopping you putting it into your PS but honestly unis will probably not care about stuff that far back.. what have you done more recently? e.g. are you part of any sports teams or clubs, have you done any volunteering, do you have a job? Past 2-3 years is probably the furthest back you should go.
Original post by SosbanFach
To be frank, it's probably not particularly relevant. Not only was it a long time ago, but (although I don't know what courses you're applying for) it probably won't actually relate that well to your reasons for wanting to study x at university. I'd leave it out, as it just makes it look like you've not got anything more recent to talk about.

I want to do Maths With Economics at LSE or UCL i just thought adding this stuff will make me look like a good person aswell as filling up the form :tongue:
Original post by BB8
There's nothing stopping you putting it into your PS but honestly unis will probably not care about stuff that far back.. what have you done more recently? e.g. are you part of any sports teams or clubs, have you done any volunteering, do you have a job? Past 2-3 years is probably the furthest back you should go.

No nothing recent, if i were to volunteer at a local charity shop how long should it be? Im thinking a week?
Reply 5
No nothing recent, if i were to volunteer at a local charity shop how long should it be? Im thinking a week?

probably longer tbh.. I'd say apply for a job somewhere (you'll get money that way, useful to have once you're at uni) rather than volunteering in a shop though. You could also learn a new skill (first aid could be a good one) if you have the time. Remember if you're applying for 2017 you only have until January to send in a completed application though (you can say goodbye to competitive courses and unis as soon as you're three seconds past the deadline) so get doing stuff asap!

remember your PS should be at least three quarters course based (ie what interests you about the course, career aspirations, relevant books you've read etc) so you only have about 20-25% of your PS to make yourself look good and well rounded..

UCL and LSE are quite competitive so make sure you get feedback on draft PSs from your teachers etc to make sure it's good (don't post any of your actual PS on here though!)

also don't put stuff in just to 'fill up the form'.. if it's not relevant (or recent) don't include it. Uni admissions departments have 1000s of applications to read so keep it concise, get to the point and don't ramble.

If you have any questions about UCL you can ask me... in about a month, when I actually start there :smile: I'm not in the maths/economics dept though so I won't be able to answer course specific questions.
Original post by BB8
probably longer tbh.. I'd say apply for a job somewhere (you'll get money that way, useful to have once you're at uni) rather than volunteering in a shop though. You could also learn a new skill (first aid could be a good one) if you have the time. Remember if you're applying for 2017 you only have until January to send in a completed application though (you can say goodbye to competitive courses and unis as soon as you're three seconds past the deadline) so get doing stuff asap!

remember your PS should be at least three quarters course based (ie what interests you about the course, career aspirations, relevant books you've read etc) so you only have about 20-25% of your PS to make yourself look good and well rounded..

UCL and LSE are quite competitive so make sure you get feedback on draft PSs from your teachers etc to make sure it's good (don't post any of your actual PS on here though!)

also don't put stuff in just to 'fill up the form'.. if it's not relevant (or recent) don't include it. Uni admissions departments have 1000s of applications to read so keep it concise, get to the point and don't ramble.

If you have any questions about UCL you can ask me... in about a month, when I actually start there :smile: I'm not in the maths/economics dept though so I won't be able to answer course specific questions.

Ok thank you, but what kind of jobs, regular jobs stacking shelves?
Reply 7
Ok thank you, but what kind of jobs, regular jobs stacking shelves?

If you want, yeah. Any kind of job really (that is suitable for part time work alongside studies)
Hi
To anyone who already applied to unis through school/college:
you know when you complete all sections, do you confirm by pressing Pay/Send so the school can then review your application, write reference etc ? does the application go to the school anyway if you press Pay/Send? or does it go straight away to the unis??? I'm so confused.. yesterday was the deadline set by my school to send them our applications so I need to send it ASAP... but I'm not sure whether I'm doing it right or not. And do I pay?, doesn't the school pay?

((I remember when I first made my account I entered a buzzword and linked my application to the school))

Quick Reply

Latest