Would you agree to Britain invading Egypt to protect Ancient Egyptian monuments?

Watch this thread
Iridocyclitis
Badges: 10
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 5 years ago
Hypothetically... say Islamists took over or invaded Egypt. They are threatening to destroy every amazing Ancient Egyptian monument and artefact for being idolatrous, including the Great Pyramid itself.

Would you be happy for Britain (and of course other Western countries) to invade Egypt to protect these monuments and artefacts?

Sure, it's arguable that lives are more important than a few ancient stones, but I would be in favour of this. I couldn't sit back and watch these be destroyed.
user 42005
Badges: 18
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 5 years ago
I'd be intrigued to find out how much explosive it would take to destroy the Great Pyramid, but in principle yes I'd agree to intervene (probably wouldn't label it an invasion though, more along the lines of cultural preservation )
Kieranisda1
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I'd agree to it. I'm in the reserves anyway as a Tuesday night killer, I'd deffo volunteer for shooting at ISIS then chilling at Sharm-el-Sheike
TercioOfParma
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yes. Heck, I would support them mustard gassing enemy emplacements to protect ruins.
Dheorl
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I wouldn't support Britain doing it, or any army flying the flag of a nation, but if the UN wanted to send in a peacekeeping force to act as guards for the moments I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure why you deem it necessary for Egypt but not other places in the middle east though. The destruction of libraries in Iraq is a tragedy, the current state of Palmyra is horrendous. Even monuments that have yet to be touched, but are closer to the fighting, such as the city of Petra in Jordan, are equally worthy of protection as the pyramids.
Razamataz666
Badges: 8
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Dheorl)
I wouldn't support Britain doing it, or any army flying the flag of a nation, but if the UN wanted to send in a peacekeeping force to act as guards for the moments I'd be all for it.

I'm not sure why you deem it necessary for Egypt but not other places in the middle east though. The destruction of libraries in Iraq is a tragedy, the current state of Palmyra is horrendous. Even monuments that have yet to be touched, but are closer to the fighting, such as the city of Petra in Jordan, are equally worthy of protection as the pyramids.
the UN is completely useless though. they would never do that.
Dheorl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Razamataz666)
the UN is completely useless though. they would never do that.
I doubt we would either, but if someone were going to I'd rather it were them. Also calling them completely useless is rather harsh and disrespectful.
username1539513
Badges: 21
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Iridocyclitis)
Hypothetically... say Islamists took over or invaded Egypt. They are threatening to destroy every amazing Ancient Egyptian monument and artefact for being idolatrous, including the Great Pyramid itself.

Would you be happy for Britain (and of course other Western countries) to invade Egypt to protect these monuments and artefacts?

Sure, it's arguable that lives are more important than a few ancient stones, but I would be in favour of this. I couldn't sit back and watch these be destroyed.
No, we need to stay the **** out of the Middle East and keep the **** out.
Razamataz666
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
yes i completely agree, lets look at some history: the suez canal crisis was a sh*t show, Afghanistan and Iraq were sh*t shows too. steer clear of that cesspool of a place, let em' kill each other.
username1539513
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
(Original post by Razamataz666)
yes i completely agree, lets look at some history: the suez canal crisis was a sh*t show, Afghanistan and Iraq were sh*t shows too. steer clear of that cesspool of a place, let em' kill each other.
Ancient Egyptian artifacts aren't British cultural heritage therefore we have no real reason to justify getting into a war over it. Let the Africans preserve their own heritage if they care anything about it. It's none of our business
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Yes, only if Britain could legally overthrow the state and create its own democratic interim government until it believes it's safe to independently govern. I also think out of all countries Britian would be the best choice for this, apart from the disastrous Iraq war the British forces have an amazing name in history and in today's world in peacekeeping. If it were American led I wouldn't support it, maybe if they backed us but Britain would have to lead.

And I don't know, lives come and go, we have like 8 billion lives and they only last around 60 years on average, these ancient stones have been around for 1000's of years, they carry history, prospective and stories, if we didn't preserve the disasters of world war 1 & 2 then this generation would still be at world war.
Razamataz666
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
well said.
JamesN88
Badges: 20
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
No.

I wouldn't sacrifice British lives to save an uninhabited building in the desert no matter how important it is in the context of world history.
Dheorl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
At what point is it our business? When they sack Istanbul? When the Eiffel Tower gets torn down? What about when the houses of parliament fall? It's not in my town, why should I care?

The mentality of people such as yourself really confuses me. This world is my home, all of it, and I would want to see as much of it's character and history preserved as possible.
username1539513
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
At what point is it our business? When they sack Istanbul? When the Eiffel Tower gets torn down? What about when the houses of parliament fall? It's not in my town, why should I care?

The mentality of people such as yourself really confuses me. This world is my home, all of it, and I would want to see as much of it's character and history preserved as possible.
So you would waste the precious blood of your own brothers and cousins in a vain attempt to save a few famous rocks? This is why the world is the bloody mess it's in today. Personally I think that the life of my fellow countryman is more important than some ruins, however pretty they may be
Dheorl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't see my countrymen as any different from the people who live in Egypt. If they are willing to fight to preserve their cultural identity than we should be willing to help them. I wouldn't blindly march into a slaughter to preserve a pile of rocks, but I think they are worth a calculated risk. Civilisation is what it is because of our history, and I think it's important to preserve for future generations to learn from, and appreciate where we came from.

The world is in the bloody mess because of people such as you stating "the life of my fellow countryman". Why does that hold any more value than the life of any of the other 7 billion people on the planet?

I assume you therefore don't think anyones life is worth it to save the houses of parliament either?
username1539513
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't see my countrymen as any different from the people who live in Egypt. If they are willing to fight to preserve their cultural identity than we should be willing to help them. I wouldn't blindly march into a slaughter to preserve a pile of rocks, but I think they are worth a calculated risk. Civilisation is what it is because of our history, and I think it's important to preserve for future generations to learn from, and appreciate where we came from.

The world is in the bloody mess because of people such as you stating "the life of my fellow countryman". Why does that hold any more value than the life of any of the other 7 billion people on the planet?
Other people's historical heritage is simply none of our business and certainly not worth enough to start spilling British blood over. Seeing as you're so eager to support mindless bloodshed I expect that you'll be the first one to sign up and march out there on the front line, hmm? I personally couldn't stomach the thought of losing one of my friends or family in a pointless war over some old ruins. The middle east is sick to the back teeth of western meddling, we should be more conservative with our men. Leave them to it, life should come before all else
Dheorl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't support mindless bloodshed, as I explicitly said in my post if you'd actually bother to read it properly. I don't see preserving the heritage of the world as pointless. Obviously you do, and that is something we're clearly just going to differ on. That doesn't mean you need to start resorting to ad hominem comments though. In my opinion it's not "other people's historical heritage". It's the historical heritage of humanity, and is just as important to me as Stonehenge, Westminster Abbey or any other British landmark you care to mention.

The mentality of "us" and "them" that you seem to have to me is frankly disgusting. Our lives and our heritage are worth no more than theirs. Some defenceless baby in Syria has as much right to a life and a cultural identity as my next door neighbours does.
Dheorl
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
Have you actually read any of my comments? I've stated I don't think any nation should start a conflict in Egypt, but that UN guards for sites of interest could be an option if they were at risk. I stated that sites such as Petra, or Palmyra, as just as worthy of preservation as the pyramids, and finally I've said if the people of those areas are willing to fight to defend them we should be willing to help, not that we should be forcing ourselves upon them.

You can call my mindset ******ed all you want, all it shows is that you don't poses any real conviction with your argument, and that you haven't actually read my posts.
username1539513
Rep:
Report 5 years ago
I don't support mindless bloodshed, as I explicitly said in my post if you'd actually bother to read it properly. I don't see preserving the heritage of the world as pointless. Obviously you do, and that is something we're clearly just going to differ on. That doesn't mean you need to start resorting to ad hominem comments though. In my opinion it's not "other people's historical heritage". It's the historical heritage of humanity, and is just as important to me as Stonehenge, Westminster Abbey or any other British landmark you care to mention.

The mentality of "us" and "them" that you seem to have to me is frankly disgusting. Our lives and our heritage are worth no more than theirs. Some defenceless baby in Syria has as much right to a life and a cultural identity as my next door neighbours does.
I think you've misunderstood the OP, this hypothetical war isn't over egyptian lives, it's over some ancient monuments built on the blood, sweat and tears of forced labour. Such a testament to human cruelty is hardly worth preserving in my view except to maybe educate future generations over the cruelty of slavery. However, the monuments of Egypt aren't used in that way, therefore, whilst I would agree that it would be a loss to loose them, I don't consider them to be worth more than any human life really.

Your mentality of spilling blood is abhorrent to me, I wouldn't want to lose blood of any person over the Pyramids of Egypt. You were also the first here to start with the ad-hominems so don't now try and act like the morally superior one. Maybe you would be fine with loosing family members for the sake of Egyptian cultural heritage, but I'm not. I have no spiritual or religious commonality with the people of Egypt and neither does the vast majority of the British population.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA Combined Science - Biology Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (53)
34.19%
The paper was reasonable (62)
40%
Not feeling great about that exam... (26)
16.77%
It was TERRIBLE (14)
9.03%

Watched Threads