Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to go into my second year at uni and I'm living with some people I met from first year who were meant to be my friends but they randomly stopped inviting me out at the end of last year. This wasn't building up or anything, they just all of sudden stopped inviting me out but this was only the last month so I wasn't complaining too much. But now I am dreading going back to uni and not getting invited out by the group (I am only living with 4 others of the group and the group in total has 15 people).

What do you guys think will happen in second year? They haven't even spoke about freshers events so I don't know if I will be invited to that?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by TheGuy1)
    I'm about to go into my second year at uni and I'm living with some people I met from first year who were meant to be my friends but they randomly stopped inviting me out at the end of last year. This wasn't building up or anything, they just all of sudden stopped inviting me out but this was only the last month so I wasn't complaining too much. But now I am dreading going back to uni and not getting invited out by the group (I am only living with 4 others of the group and the group in total has 15 people).

What do you guys think will happen in second year? They haven't even spoke about freshers events so I don't know if I will be invited to that?
    Hello

One thing that is almost a guarantee through university is that friendship groups shift - I know mine has a lot since being at university - it doesn't mean I talk or see my old friendship groups, just mean things changed and other people had similar interests to me etc.

I wouldn't worry too much - I wouldn't say they are doing it to kick you out. I'd suggest talking to them - why don't you start the conversation about Freshers? Ask them what they would like to do for it? You say they haven't been inviting you out or talking about Freshers but have you tried with them? From their side they may see that you don't seem interested.

Best of luck
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by TheGuy1)

I second JustGeorge said. You should just talk to them and create an open dialogue. Ya'll are adults right? Tell them how you felt about the end of last year and just ask them. If you're not the most direct person, try speaking about Freshers and initiating the topic to get it started and see how that pans out.

No one can tell you what the future holds unfortunately. All it takes is one person to talk about about something in order to get the conversation flowing. Just simply open up with "are you guys getting a Freshers writstband?" etc etc and it will hopefully flow from there.

ReputationRep:
    One thing that I've always heard from university students is that friendship groups change drastically year on year.
    You won't have the same friends in your last year as you did your first.
    It's a common thing and I'm sure it's nothing to worry about.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses, I am just really worried that I will be living with these guys and they won't invite me out and it will certainly upset me. They even made a new group chat which I have spoken to them about and they still didn't include in it. I am generally so worried about this year as I go back in a week or 2.

Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.