Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've lost the will to want to be happy. What do I do? watch

I lost the will to live and feel emotions normally so long ago (~5 years ago, I'm 18) that I don't remember what it's like to feel sustained joy, contentment, satisfaction, excitement, only the memory of it, and I seem to just be ploughing forward without cause - it's hurt my grades, academic opportunities, my relationships etc. It's not that I don't put in the effort or the work - I really do, and generously so, but my depression often sabotages things and it becomes a self-fulling cycle e.g. lack of close relationships = unhappiness; unhappiness preventing close relationships developing, and so on.

I give the impression of being able to function normally and definitely convinced myself that this is the case - that the emptiness and pain I feel by default is perfectly okay. Coming to the realisation now that internally I don't think being happy is worth it, that I don't want to/can't fight for a feeling/state of being that I barely remember, and it's pretty terrifying. In my early teens, I spent every moment battling against my OCD tendencies, high anxiety levels, panic attacks, general self-esteem problems (with almost no support network); it ended up not being worth it (look at me now),and I'm too tired/can't care anymore to do so. All of this also worries me now because I'm aware that this makes me extra susceptible to emotional setbacks/life events e.g. I experienced symptoms of PTSD after an event that I feel earlier on in life I could have coped with better.

Happiness seems to have too high a price. Please help.

Have you talked to anyone about this? If not then I would highly recommend seeing your doctor or a psychologist. I've been through similar for the past decade or so and know exactly how you are feeling (or lack of feeling).
    • Section Leader
    • Peer Support Volunteers

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Peer Support Volunteers
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I lost the will to live and feel emotions normally so long ago (~5 years ago, I'm 18) that I don't remember what it's like to feel sustained joy, contentment, satisfaction, excitement, only the memory of it, and I seem to just be ploughing forward without cause - it's hurt my grades, academic opportunities, my relationships etc. It's not that I don't put in the effort or the work - I really do, and generously so, but my depression often sabotages things and it becomes a self-fulling cycle e.g. lack of close relationships = unhappiness; unhappiness preventing close relationships developing, and so on.

I give the impression of being able to function normally and definitely convinced myself that this is the case - that the emptiness and pain I feel by default is perfectly okay. Coming to the realisation now that internally I don't think being happy is worth it, that I don't want to/can't fight for a feeling/state of being that I barely remember, and it's pretty terrifying. In my early teens, I spent every moment battling against my OCD tendencies, high anxiety levels, panic attacks, general self-esteem problems (with almost no support network); it ended up not being worth it (look at me now),and I'm too tired/can't care anymore to do so. All of this also worries me now because I'm aware that this makes me extra susceptible to emotional setbacks/life events e.g. I experienced symptoms of PTSD after an event that I feel earlier on in life I could have coped with better.

Happiness seems to have too high a price. Please help.
    I'm so sorry to hear you feel as though you've lost the will to live. Did anything happen over 5 years ago that may have caused you to not feel emotions for such a long time? It's great you've been able to identify that it's a self-fulling cycle because that enables you to see how you could try and change things. I know you mentioned your depression has hurt your relationships; does this include friendships?

I sometimes see feelings as an iceberg - there's only part of them on show and the rest of them are hidden, so I don't think it's abnormal to give the impression that you're coping and functioning normally; alot of people do that. Feeling better can definitely be a scary thought; when my depression had it's biggest grip on me about 4 years ago, I was consumed by darkness and as you've mentioned, you get used to it. It becomes the norm and so feeling happy on a consistent basis was an unknown to me and in that sense it was scary. It's sounds as though you've been through alot OP :/ In what way do you feel as though happiness has too high of a price? :console:

As the poster above me has asked, have you seen anyone; a school counsellor/gp etc. about how've been doing?

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: August 24, 2016
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.