The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bfm.mcdermott
History and RS (We only do 2 early). The rest we started this year and take next year.

I'm doing RS early too with WJEC. What exam board are you doing?
Original post by Sardonic Zarah
I'm doing RS early too with WJEC. What exam board are you doing?

AQA. I'm doing 'Religion and Morality' for Unit One, and 'Religion and Life Issues' for Unit Two.
AQA. I'm doing 'Religion and Morality' for Unit One, and 'Religion and Life Issues' for Unit Two.

We have similar topics. I'm doing 'religion and life issues' and 'religion and human experience'. the two religions we're cdoing are Islam and Christianity. wbu?
We have similar topics. I'm doing 'religion and life issues' and 'religion and human experience'. the two religions we're cdoing are Islam and Christianity. wbu?

For Religion and Morality, we did Islam and Christianity, but for Life Issues, we are doing Christianity and Buddhism..I think it depends what units you do
For Religion and Morality, we did Islam and Christianity, but for Life Issues, we are doing Christianity and Buddhism..I think it depends what units you do

Are you with edexcel for History? If so, how're you finding part b and c. I got 20 marks on part b but I'm quite worried about part c because of the actual writing down of your analyses.
If I have a point for lets say RE and it is common sense for example reason for belief in God e.g. Religious upbringing but then a question on reasons on Atheism and I state non religious upbringing and it is not in the textbooks and mark scheme but it is pure common sense should I still put it down in an exam on not or risk it just realise that i am stuggling an confused and so should I write it?
Original post by Samson Ayorinde
If I have a point for lets say RE and it is common sense for example reason for belief in God e.g. Religious upbringing but then a question on reasons on Atheism and I state non religious upbringing and it is not in the textbooks and mark scheme but it is pure common sense should I still put it down in an exam on not or risk it just realise that i am stuggling an confused and so should I write it?

Try and back up using maybe belief in science. I think examiners like reference to science for reasons for atheism
Try and back up using maybe belief in science. I think examiners like reference to science for reasons for atheism

thank you very much
Original post by carlypower9
Okay- I'm looking forward to doing it because I enjoy reading and analysing even if I'm not the best at it

With poetry and a good teacher, you can unlock key analytical skills. More than you can with novels or plays
With poetry and a good teacher, you can unlock key analytical skills. More than you can with novels or plays

My teacher is really good so that should be okay
Original post by Samson Ayorinde

In RS you can make any valid point not listed in the textbook/mark scheme and get marks as long as you back it up with evidence. That last part is crucial. It's the same with any essay subject actually. It's also the same with stuff that is listed in the textbook, of course. However if you pretty much swallow the textbook (as in learn it) there will nothing that they can ask you that you cannot answer. So you might as well learn the textbook points, oh and learn definitions word for word too. I did this doing edexcel, got an A*.
Original post by RedSquirrels
In RS you can make any valid point not listed in the textbook/mark scheme and get marks as long as you back it up with evidence. That last part is crucial. It's the same with any essay subject actually. It's also the same with stuff that is listed in the textbook, of course. However if you pretty much swallow the textbook (as in learn it) there will nothing that they can ask you that you cannot answer. So you might as well learn the textbook points, oh and learn definitions word for word too. I did this doing edexcel, got an A*.

Examiners love holy book quotes also
Examiners love holy book quotes also

Ooo good shout
Reply 593
Original post by Zarzeeboo24
Hi, I'm Zara, I'm really interested in documentaries and Gilmore Girls (anyone else watch the revival?). I l'm really interested in all of my subjects :smile:

For my GCSE's I'm taking:
English Lit & Lang (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Triple Science) (AQA)
Religious Studies (AQA)
History (I'm sitting that early) (WJEC)
Spanish (Edexcel)
Resistant Materials (Design Technology) (Edexcel)
Potentially French (Edexcel)

All in total, hopefully I should be doing 11 or 12 GCSES :smile:

My favourite subjects are probably history and Spanish, although to be completely honest I love all of my option subjects and English.
My dream job would be working as a humanitarian aid worker, or teaching foreign languages in schools.
So far year 10 has been pretty hard, but I think I'm doing okay. A lot of my teachers are saying I'm their 'potential grade 9' student which is obviously a lot of pressure! Anyone else hate the new system? It's so unfair! Luckily, GCSE DT is still in the old system so we get coursework, which is a plus!

OH MY FISH GILMORE GIRLS you watched all the old ones right?!
I'm taking simillar subjects pm me! Xxx
Reply 594
Original post by Zarzeeboo24
Hi, I'm Zara, I'm really interested in documentaries and Gilmore Girls (anyone else watch the revival?). I l'm really interested in all of my subjects :smile:

For my GCSE's I'm taking:
English Lit & Lang (AQA)
Maths (Edexcel)
Further Maths (Edexcel)
Physics, Chemistry and Biology (Triple Science) (AQA)
Religious Studies (AQA)
History (I'm sitting that early) (WJEC)
Spanish (Edexcel)
Resistant Materials (Design Technology) (Edexcel)
Potentially French (Edexcel)

All in total, hopefully I should be doing 11 or 12 GCSES :smile:

My favourite subjects are probably history and Spanish, although to be completely honest I love all of my option subjects and English.
My dream job would be working as a humanitarian aid worker, or teaching foreign languages in schools.
So far year 10 has been pretty hard, but I think I'm doing okay. A lot of my teachers are saying I'm their 'potential grade 9' student which is obviously a lot of pressure! Anyone else hate the new system? It's so unfair! Luckily, GCSE DT is still in the old system so we get coursework, which is a plus!

I meant oh my gosh not on my fish😂😂😂 oops
Anyone got a revision timetable?
Anyone got a revision timetable?

Yes, but I don't follow it at all 😳😂 I set it up so I was doing an hour and a half each night, but I gave up doing it after a week in September. Now I just revise when I have time.
Original post by treehome
Yes, but I don't follow it at all 😳😂 I set it up so I was doing an hour and a half each night, but I gave up doing it after a week in September. Now I just revise when I have time.

Revision during term doesn't exist. I have a holiday timetable but I'm not even at home most of the time to revise 😂
UGHH the workload is too much !
I'm not doing any courseworky type subjects but in my options Geography has the highest amount of work ! I love it but it's so much !!
Geography GCSE students where you at :biggrin:
Original post by NutellaHolic
UGHH the workload is too much !
I'm not doing any courseworky type subjects but in my options Geography has the highest amount of work ! I love it but it's so much !!
Geography GCSE students where you at :biggrin:

I took GCSE Geography with OCR. Which exam board are you with? I agree it has a lot of work in lessons but I don't get too much work to do outside of school. I'm the same as you though- I really like geography.